Question

Supplier payment proposal - Who pay the bank fees

• 12 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hi team,

Is there a standard method for indicating which party will pay the bank charges when creating the supplier payment proposal (each party pays its own commission, the supplier pays the commission or the company pays the charges)?

Thanks in advance

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Nassim It depends on the payment method/format you are going to use. Most of the payment formats allow four values. If we consider the IS020022-based credit transfer payments, you have the following options.

• BEN (BENeficiary) –
    • The Payee (recipient of the payment) will incur all of the payment transaction fees
      • Typically, the recipient will receive the payment minus the transfer charges
    • The Payer (sender of the payment) will not pay any payment fees
  • OUR –
    • The Payer (sender of the payment) will bear all of the payment transaction fees
      • Normally you will be billed separately for the payment transfer
    • The Payee (recipient of the payment) will not pay any payment fees,
      • The beneficiary will receive the full amount of the payment
  • SHA (SHAred) –
    • The Payer (sender of the payment) will pay all fees charged by the sending bank
      • You will be billed separately for the payment transfer
    • The Payee (recipient of the payment) will pay all fees charged by the receiving bank
      • The recipient will receive the payment minus any correspondent /intermediary fees
Badge +3

@Eranda  thank you for your reply.

I am using the BONIFICOFO (Italian localisation) and Italian SEPA formats.

In wich screen can i chose oen of the different options you indicate above ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi, Nassim,
For SEPA I think SHA is the only option allowed (otherwise payment cannot be considered as SEPA).

I cannot see place in BONIFOCOFO specification with instrauction on the cost assignement, it means most probably that default value is used, (SHA most probably).

I think italian banks are supporting ISO20022 payment format, perhaos you should consider switching to it.

Badge +3

@Eranda where you see SHA for the SEPA ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Nassim for According to European Payment Council (EPC) rules only the value “SLEV” (following Service Level, i.e., debtor and creditor pay their own bank fee) is allowed for SEPA payments. This is quite identical to the value SHAR, however when the file is transmitted for SEPA clearance, the value SLEV is only allowed. Hence, if you set the value SHAR, some banks will modify the value back to SLEV (otherwise rejected) when the file is transmitted. You can define this in the Charge Bearer column in the electronic payment address.