Question

Payment SEPA XML

• 22 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

How can I change the forbidden character "&" in SEPA payment (XML via IFS Connect) when generating XML? German customers very often have the sign "&" in their names and this sign is prohibited in the banking specifications of SEPA ISO20022. The names of the clients cannot be changed on the system.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi Cersanit,

IFS is following the European Payment Council (EPC) guidelines for SEPA payments. According to EPC rules, some special characters like "&" (ampersand) may only be used with escape characters. IFS has already handle it the XML creation logic. For an example if your payee name contains a special character like "&", it will be replaced as "&". If I remember correctly, the special character conversion logic has been established after APP8 SP2 version.

It seems that you are using APP7.5 version. In this case, you might need to go for a customization. If you need more info, please let me know.

Best Regards

Eranda

Badge +2

Hi Eranda,

Thank you for reply.

In XML I correctly replace the "&" and "&" characters, in spite of all the bank still rejects the SEPA xml file. Returns a message that the "&" character is not allowed. 

They recommend replacing "&" with "and" what I think is nonsense.

Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi Cersanit,

The special character conversion logic has been setup based on the European Payment Council (EPC) guideline. All SEPA Payment Service Providers in SEPA member area should comply with EPC rules when dealing with SEPA payment. Please find the attached document (section 6.2).

Please double check with the bank.

Best Regards

Eranda