Question

Imbalance in Currency TB

• 20 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi All

I have an issue with the  currency GL balance in Apps 10. The base currency balances, but the currency balance does not.

This relates to the GRNI where goods purchased in Euros are correctly recorded in GBP for the accounting currency and EUR for the currency amount.  The Inventory account has the GBP value in both the accounting and currency fields.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

If I understand the question / comment correctly, then Yes I have seen this before. 

M1 inventory - to have this in different currency values at the same time is really really tough. I believe this was investigated by R&D previously.  I was part of a number of conversations with R&D over a year ago.  I tend to believe this is a limitation.   

Assuming all inventory was serial or lot tracked I would believe this could be managed offline, however anytime the inventory was not fully lot tracked, then it’s really had to ensure this would be accurate. Most clients do not serial track / lot track good portions of the inventory.  

Assume we buy part 1 from a USD vendor and from a GBP vendor.  Assume no lot tracking. Assume we have 100 on hand. When the inventory is in the same location we have no systematic way to know that we removed a USD quantity or a GBP quantity. It’s very tough without limiting other flexibility / imposing mandates such that you can “only” work a certain way.  

So… Sorry, but I believe this is one of the few limitations found in IFS and many other ERP solutions. Sure I have seen this, but the solution I have seen this ability did not have nearly the flexibility that IFS has. 

I could be wrong, but I believe this to be a limitation. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

Based on a recent investigation, I think this provides a solution for a issue existed in previous versions.

It was for a customer who had their GRNI accounts setup for Currency Revaluation.

When PO is raised in EUR (Foreign currency) then in APP10 version, all  M10 transaction are recorded in EUR in the GL. When the manual supplier invoice is posted the M18 will be also be posted in EUR and there will be no balance in GRNI account in GBP or EUR.

However, in previous versions the M10 is posted in GBP (Accounting Currency) and M18 is posted in EUR. In this case GRNI account will always have a balance in EUR and it will never be settled. Therefore, it will be revalued always and generate unnecessary currency gains or losses.

I understand that it may not be a recommended account to be revalued. Therefore, this may not be the reason why RnD mage this change. However, system provides the flexibility and there are customers revaluating this account .

Shehan Almeida.