Solved

How to add an account to a budget ledger

• 16 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi,

I am working through creating my first budget. I would like to add an account to “Budget Period amount” but am receiving the below error.  When I “zoom” in the account field it takes me to code string-account where the account in the snip is already there ( I assumed it would take me to somewhere where I could add accounts to ledger IB), but when I hit F8 for an LOV it is empty.

How do I add accounts to ledger IB?

Best Regards,

Dennis M.

icon

Best answer by Thomas Peterson 16 September 2021, 21:20

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I believe I just found the reason why I can’t find any accounts. So I suppose I have to create a duplicate account for budgeting? Why/How is this practical?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

No you would not need to duplicate an account for a budget. If you budgeted at a top level for example assume GL accounts 6001, 6002, 6003 etc, but then for budgeting only budget at a 6000 level then maybe we would want 6000 to be a budget only account.    It’s not common, but IFS supports that need. 

As for the error message, I tend to believe this may be an IL set up issue.   A common omission when setting up the IL is to forget to enter a set up that designates what GL data flows into IL. If we fail to set up what data flows into IL, we don’t have data in IL.  I’m thinking that maybe in your release this could also be the reason for the error message. I don’t get that error in my testing version so either the issue is fixed or this is not the cause of your error.  

Make sure you have something like this in your IL set up. 

This screen essentially establishes what account strings are valid in the IL.  

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson  thank you I definitely would not have found that on my own!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Almost everyone skips that set up.  I can’t even tell you how many people have sent emails - Can’t get data in IL. Well lets check this screen… 

No problems. 

Best regards, 

Thomas