Solved

GL Automatic Posting Rule: Performance

• 22 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 4 replies

Hi there,

We will be using IFS cloud in the future. At the moment I’m at the Posting rules setup. We’d like an additional posting, with certain M40 combinations (RAW Material to Shop Order).
The goal is to build the Work in Progress. I’d like to do this via Automatic Posting rules. We already now that there will be a lot of Postings, since everytime Material is taken at a shop order there will be two additional Postings.

Has anyone experience with a lot of Postings generated by the Automatic Posting rules regarding performance?

I now a lot is a bad definition so i’d say 500-600 postings a day.

Thanks for the replies.

icon

Best answer by Adam Bereda 23 August 2023, 16:06

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

IMO, automatic posting rules is not the best way for such an activity.  It can create messy reconciliations.  Post to A then move to B,C,D,E and others for thousands of transactions. Then when shop order closes, you have the same credit M40 that then creates the numerous reclassing. 

If you want M40 in different accounts, depending on needs (for example material, OH, Labor etc) try using the cost details / posting cost groups.   The cost buckets can essentially represent the posting cost groups / the breakdown for different postings.    

After trying to fix so many clients and mistakes, I’m just not a big fan of automatic posting rules for certain entries.  We can do better. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Badge +1

Thanks for your reply.

We already use the M40 with C127, wich does what you described. But this doesn’t do everything I neeed. We will report with “Total Cost Mehtod” and “Cost of sales method”, IFS as far as I know uses “Cost of sales method”. To have the additional Postings for the “Total cost Method” I need an additional Posting. I could do this manually each month, but this means that unless somebody does something the reporting is not correct.

We have a conecpt for the postings as it should work. I just don’t like to do stuff manually. The setup of the Automatic Posting will be pretty straightforward (just 2 rows each +-100%). I think it will be pretty transparent since the automatic postings have a clear designation in the GL. We of course will do intense testing before using it like that.

Thats why I specificly asked for the Performance.

Best regards, 

Joel

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello,

In globl extension package there is already localization for Poland (at least) adding additional couple of postings to material movements between stock and work in progress (i.e. to all posting events using M1/M40 couple). It is widely used and number of additional posting lines is not an issue. 

Automatic posting rules might do this job as well and i think impact on performance would not be big, my inly concern is that in Automatic Posting Rules definition it might be difficult to restrict additional postings created to only transactions related to materials.  

Badge +1

Thanks so much for the reply.

Since we are using IFS cloud the Poland extension isn’t available. My consultant said, it was used for apps 10. But the suggestion was great.
I’ll make sure to test the restrictions with the automatic posting carefully, to not have too many postings.

Badge +2

Dear all,

I know this topic is closed but I have a quick question with regards to the GL automatic posting rule and I don´t want to create a new question. 

Is it true, that the GL automatic posting rules post into GL and IL if the voucher (in our case LA voucher type) is linked to GL and IL ledger? Is there a way to eliminate the GL bookings only?

#IFScloud

Thank you,

Benjamin

Badge +1

Hi

1. In my Case the automatic postings from Voucher Type MPL get added to the IL ledger.
  1. You can also do automatic postings only relevant for IL Ledger.
    1. You could eliminate postings from GL and IL.
    2. Add some IL Ledger specific Automatic Posting rules to revert the first automatic posting rule.

I know not beautiful but at least in my head it works.

Joel

Badge +2

Thank you for your reply. But how can I add the second rule in IFS? How can I change the voucher type from GL+IL to IL only? 

What I need to do is:

1. Post the periodical proposals for Lease with LA voucher. Goes into GL and IL.
  2. Eliminates the booking with GL automatic posting rule in GL and IL.
  3. Add a second rule which post the initial booking from 1. to IL only.
Badge +1

If you go to Financials-Internal Ledger-BasicData there is the Navigation point “IL Automatic Posting Rules”.

Badge +2

Hello jdual,

it is working. The GL automatic posting rule eliminates the postings in GL and the IL automatic posting rules brings it into IL again. 

Thank you so much for your help, that helped me a lot.

Benjamin