Question

FA Object external file template import does not include "object type" = "planned"

• 21 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi there,

once we create manually a Fixed Asset, we can choose an “object type” with “planned” value, then we got automatically a new tab called “planned” where we are able to put the planned acquisition date and planned acquisition value. It seems that, in FA external file, this field is not existing in the standard ExtFAobject template.

Please advise how can we handle it? how can we use the external file template for FA for object type “planned object” (and not only “normal type)

thanks and regards,

Kherdine

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

We have multiple ways to migrate data. If using apps 10 and older you can create an external file type and template to load the planned fixed assets. You can do same for planning data.   If newer version of IFS you can use the migration job to do same.    It may take less than 1 minute to use IFS to create a new file type and template to load the objects, and another minute to create the ability to load the planning data.  I have not tested, but I’m reasonably confident it will work. 

These objects are far easier to migrate as they don’t need to create the related balancing / transactional records.     

Sure, it would be nice to have 1 file type for all, but as you have seen the attributes are not available in that template.    

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

hi

so then could you please send me the template file

i am sorry but I won’t be able to create a correct external file to FA object “planned type”

once I tried to add the planned date or planned acquisition value… I got an error so please give the external file to support object which are not “normal type” but “planned type”

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

The process is to use standard IFS external file functionality several posts describe the process. 

Summary -

Get the view name something like FA_OBJECT

In External File Types use the option to create new file type and template from the view. make sure to select option to create input file. 

Go to template screen - In the template, alter the template created from the above, to make more user friendly. 

Use external files assistant to export sample record.  

Use note pad, create new object exactly like sample (for example only change object ID to new). 

In my template - I use a process to skip the header record in template control (from input tab). 

If you don’t do this, remove the header record before loading. 

Use external files to load the new object. 

You should get message 

Repeat the process for the planning data.    

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

External file template control - From external file template - input tab. 

Sample

This creates a skip record where IFS will skip any record where column 1 contains the text Company. In the sample data, the first column is for company with a header of “Company”.   That record will be skipped and would not need to be removed before loading the fie. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

thanks @Thomas Peterson appreciate your advice. I did it :)