Question

Customer payment write off small balance

• 10 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

We raise invoices with 4 decimal places for unit price.  When customer pays us it is 2 decimal places but when processing mixed payment and matching the invoice IFS will write off the difference of 3rd and 4th decimal.

However, when we have payments on account, which are of higher value than invoice, we try to match/offset these but are always left with 3rd and 4th decimal place remaining on account as an outstanding value when the value is changed to match invoice.

How can we fix this so that the small difference is cleared in tolerance similar to when the correct value is paid.

Example:

Payment £1,234.56
Invoice    £1,234.5678

Mixed payment writes off 0.0078

Payment £1,000

Payment £2,000

Payment £3,000

Invoice £5,123.4567

Amending line 3 to £2,123.45 to match and clear invoice leaves 0.0067 as a outstanding value on account

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello @SMcLees 

Did you try customer offset proposal with write-off option?

You can bulk write off single items. I would recommend setting up write off limit per user before starting the process. Say that you want to write off up to 1 USD. Then set write off limit 1 USD for the user. This will let system warn you if there isa transaction with higher value than 1 USD and not let you proceed with approval of proposal.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hello @SMcLees 

Did you try customer offset proposal with write-off option?

You can bulk write off single items. I would recommend setting up write off limit per user before starting the process. Say that you want to write off up to 1 USD. Then set write off limit 1 USD for the user. This will let system warn you if there isa transaction with higher value than 1 USD and not let you proceed with approval of proposal.

Hi

I don’t think my example would pull into an offset proposal?  in this we have received £6,000 over 3 payments, so I have to amend one of these to match the invoice value  - this is when the 3rd and 4th digit balance is left

Payment £1,000

Payment £2,000

Payment £3,000

Invoice £5,123.4567

Amending line 3 to £2,123.45 to match and clear invoice leaves 0.0067 as a outstanding value on account

The offset proposal would only work if we had received for example £5,123.45 over the 3 payments?  Or am I missing something?

Userlevel 6
Badge +19

Hello @SMcLees 

If your remaining value is £2,123.45 and you try to match £3,000 then the difference (3,000- 2,123.45) will be posted with PP8 to prepayment account. So you will have remaining 0.0067 which you can clear with write-off single items.