create a new external file type

• 2 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 35 replies

Hi,

I want to create a new external file type, but I can , there is no action avalaible  on the page,

is it possible?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Yasanthi Gunawardena 2 January 2023, 18:11

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Ines ,

The following function has been removed in 21R1 cloud release:

• External Files – User defined file types
    • Due to deprecation of Oracle Users for end user authentication, user defined external file types and related templates cannot be used in IFS Cloud.
    • System defined file types and related user defined file templates will still be possible to use as before.

Best Regards,

Yasanthi

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks Yasanthi,

That is so pity

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @Yasanthi Gunawardena 

What is the relation between Oracle Users and External File Types ?

Another question.  Do you know if there is an Api to Unpack an incoming Xml File ?  We are on 22R1

Regards, Pieter

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

In response to Ines, I agree it’s less than Ideal the create new was removed.  

However, I tested the migration job and it can do this as well.  Typically, I could create a new external file type in a minute or two.  The Migration job is not as fast for the same thing. 

But it does work.  See me if you need a quick and dirty (non-elegant) document on how to use that tool. 

Send me an email. 

Best regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

I want to create a new external file type, but I can , there is no action avalaible  on the page,

is it possible?

Thanks

Hi,

Using the standard methods in External_File_Utility_API, you can use an ins file to generate the external file type, parameters, parameter sets, external file template, and External File Template Controls.

Best Regards,

Wanodya

Badge +2

Hi, 

In response to Ines, I agree it’s less than Ideal the create new was removed.  

However, I tested the migration job and it can do this as well.  Typically, I could create a new external file type in a minute or two.  The Migration job is not as fast for the same thing. 

But it does work.  See me if you need a quick and dirty (non-elegant) document on how to use that tool. 

Send me an email. 

Best regards,

Hi Thomas I hope youre doing good ;

could you pleas tell me how you did this ? 

thank you somuch 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

One question - has anyone of you created an idea for this? To request the functionality to be included again?

It works with a migration job but it is not user friendly and most companies don’t give many users access to migration.

We used external files in previous versions for D2D actions such as export of Payroll transactions and Import of time balances for example - both these are not any existing file types so now we can’t do it.

Regards,

Maria

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi again,

I created an idea for this now so if you want the possibility back please vote for it :-)

Possibility to create your own External file types | IFS Community

Regards,

Maria