Solved

Travel Cost Model

• 14 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi,

Here is my travel cost model configuration. I am trying to achieve a scenario where the DSE will schedule as follows:

On an empty shift, activities can be scheduled within a hour hour radius from start location - therefore offering a wider range for where activities can be scheduled.

Where a pre-existing activity exists on a shift, limit travel to 1 hour from that activity to the one being scheduled.

Should the configuration I have in place achieve the above?

No max shift travel is required.

thanks.

icon

Best answer by tomgreenwood 14 March 2023, 10:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Andy, 

not quite - you have maximum travel home set to 2 hours so a resource could be up to 2 hours away from their home location, but your requirements says only 1 hour from their home location. If you want your resource to be a maximum of 1 hour from hour and no travel in between jobs is to exceed 1 hour then both maximum journey time and maximum travel home should be set to 1 hour. There is no need to set a travel penalty as well unless you want to specify more granular behaviour.

The isochrones below show how far my resource can travel 1 and 2 hours from his home (2 hours being the outer circle).  They are straight line travels so not realistic but the point is still the same :

Regards,

Tom

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks Tom,

I actually mistyped, I should have said a “Travel time from start location” of 2 hours , and a “Journey time” of 1 hour between jobs.

So from what you wrote, it looks like I have what I need to allow for further travel for the first activity, while slightly clustering the calls from then on. I will begin to reign the 1 hour “Journey time” if validation goes well in order to further promote a scheduling behavior of keeping all tasks for the day in one local area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks Tom,

I actually mistyped, I should have said a “Travel time from start location” of 2 hours , and a “Journey time” of 1 hour between jobs.

So from what you wrote, it looks like I have what I need to allow for further travel for the first activity, while slightly clustering the calls from then on. I will begin to reign the 1 hour “Journey time” if validation goes well in order to further promote a scheduling behavior of keeping all tasks for the day in one local area.

Hi - yes what you have right now will work then, the travel penalties you’ve defined don’t add anything though so you can remove those.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks again.

Is there any other configuration I should consider in order to achieve a scheduling behavior that looks to schedule the activities when we have a pre existing route already in that area? Like a do on location incentive, but within a certain radius of the activity being scheduled instead of the same exact location.