Question

Extending length of Existing FSM Metadata field

• 7 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi All,

Can someone suggest me how to extend the field length of Existing FSM Metadata ?

I want to extend the field length of TASK_TEMPLATE_ID which is of 32 characters to 100 characters.

A quick response will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Deepak Kumar

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Have you tried configuring custom metadata?

Badge +2

Hi @Shneor ,

No, Actually we have the existing data present in the same field so just wanted to confirm is it can be achieved through addition in Custom Metadata?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @DeepakKum ,

This is not possible to exceed/extend the limit of characters defined on a field related to FSM metadata. 

One option would be to move forward with custom metadata user_def field or if the user_defs are exhausted, then reserve a field with an extension table (only if your purpose is just to display the full template name). But again, if you’re trying to apply this for TASK_TEMPLATE table, keep in mind that TASK_TEMPLATE_ID field will be a primary key. Therefore, nonetheless you need to provide a value for the task_template_id field while defining the full template name on the user_def

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

It is not working for me :(

Badge +2

Hi @Saranga Amaraweera ,

Thanks for the input.

Actually the Task Template Id is coming from Upstream system to FSM which has length more than 32 characters and I wanted a solution which do not involve any change in the data from upstream system.

Can you please suggest if we can achieve it by any other approach?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Badge +2

Hi @ruben.maas ,

Can you please suggest us a way out here?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @Saranga Amaraweera ,

Thanks for the input.

Actually the Task Template Id is coming from Upstream system to FSM which has length more than 32 characters and I wanted a solution which do not involve any change in the data from upstream system.

Can you please suggest if we can achieve it by any other approach?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Hi @DeepakKum ,
Are you using FSM connect for the integration with the external system? Then you can simply write down a custom sql function (can use sql substring function) to shorten the characters of the task template id and then call it as a process in your xml map. Finally you can map the shortened result for the task template id coming out of the custom function on to your task_template_id field. Please note that this is merely a one approach of achieving your requirement