Skip to main content
Solved

DC Manual Allocation. Skill as hard constaint

• 23 July 2024
  • 3 replies

I am preparing a demo on manual allocation. As the connection with PSO Environment is not available at the moment, I’d like to show the manual allocation via Dispatch Console. 
I have multiple resource demand for a task. So multiple lines of work allocation for the same task.

I have created skills and linked them to standard tasks and resources. 

To assign a resource, I click on the Allocate/Assign button. 

Currently, I can assign a resource without a specific skill to a standard task that requires a specific skill. 

I expected that skills could be set as a hard constraint, is that the case? if not can it set to be so? Is this supported by the DC or by manual allocation without the support of the DSE?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Stefania, 

I would not consider Allocate/Assign a DC capability, it's rather standalone and - AFAIK - does not consider skills. In DC the idea is that you filter resources based on skills, but as a dispatcher you can still assign to anyone. If you want to constrain that, there is a BPA example in Scheduling Demystified, which can be used to reject the drag and drop transaction. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Alex, 
Thank you for your support. 
I will try to implement the BPA functionality you mentioned. 
I was wondering whether instead with the scheduling workbench, in a manual scheduling scenario, it would be possible to consider the aspects of skills, certificates, service organization and delivery unit or whether it would work in the same way as the DC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Stefania, skills, certificates, service organization and delivery unit are all sent to PSO as skills. Service Org and SDU can translate to Object Groups i.e., they would constrain visibility entirely, you would not see an activity/resource outside your Service Org/Object Group. 

For skills and certificates your approach would work. If you make changes (edit or drag &drop) and use Validate...

...you would get a warning:

You will then be given the option to force through the change by clicking 'Force Apply Changes' if the permission 'ManChaValidationOverride' has been enabled. Otherwise, the apply button will be disabled and you will need to make a different change if you wish to continue.