Question

Will there be more Objects enabled for Docman Access Control?

• 29 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello,

I am working with a customer, who wants to enable a large amount of objects to control document access as they want to avoid person groups. These include Purchase Req Line Part and No Line Part, Purchase Order Line Part and No Line Part, Receipt, RFQ Part and No Part Lines, Sales Contract and Project Misc Procurement etc.

Currently, I cannot enable these objects for access control because the LU’s aren’t able to retrieve the ‘Get-document-access’ package attached as standard, and would require a modification from what I have been told. 

I wanted to ask if other customers have had similar requirements, where object access control was used for various LU’s or is there a list of objects for access control which will be introduced as standard set up at a later update? 

Regards

Aisha

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Aisha,

Firstly, the business rules behind each document access check done by an object is owned be the respective product areas at R&D. HR/HCM, Projects, Maintenance etc. all have different ways to determine the document access. If new methods are needed, they should be requested from the respective team, since we who work with IFS Document Management has little insight into what checks are needed in each area.

As far as I know of, there is no ongoing work or planned work to add more methods for checking document access via an object, but on the other hand, people might not tell us. The answer is always to be found in the basic data form where all access check methods can be found. We also have a documentation page that lists all objects that can control the access but, again, since people might not tell us when new methods are added, it might not always be up-to-date.

And yes, there is no free lunch here, if you need a new object type to be able to control the document access, it will require a small customization for each object type. Because, the system could never figure out what the right way to check the access from a given object would be. It's not very hard though, and such a customization could be placed in a new package which should be easy to maintain with regards to upgrades.

I suggest you do a customization for this customer and at the same time ask for the same method to be added to the core product, if you think it makes sense to have it there.

I would ask the customer to think twice before going down this road though. For sure, maintaining a list of person groups takes effort, but it could also be automated with some clever custom events (that maintain the groups for them, based on knowledge about the setup in different areas).

Either option works though, and neither of them are very complex.

Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello Mathias,

Thank you for a detailed response. Could you please direct me to where the documentation page of all the lists of objects that can control access is?

Yes, if we go down the route of having to customise objects for the access to work, then I will inform the community of these changes so that it could hopefully be considered for the core product. 

Regards

Aisha

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Check the main “about” documentation for document access in the end user/functional documentation and you will find it.