Question

Two New Document Classes in Customer Environments (!)

• 25 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi  

I  have noticed that another two new document classes have been introduced in Document Basic. I am receiving inquiries from customers who are curious about what these are and why this change is happening. Could someone please provide some information on the new document classes and the reasons behind their introduction?

1. FML DOC  Attachments related to faults
  2. MM DOC  Attachments related to faults

I found a solved question regarding document class DISCO DOC. Maybe these are related to it.?

Br

Linda

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Linda,

They come from the Forward / Line Maintenance module in IFS. I cannot say what they are used for and why they are so important that they are added at installation time.

I'll try to get a comment from someone else here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi again,

I got some more information on this and the purpose of those document classes is to be used for migrating document attachments from Maintenix. We didn't want to rely on someone manually adding that class, so that's why it's added via the installation scripts.

I hope this answers the question.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi, and thanks for cheking this Mathias!

The consequences of having this as an intallation script for our customers are probably more negative than positive. For every customer not using this for designed purpose. Classes must be removed manually or blocked from use in Production to avoid confusion and documents being entered with the wrong Class.  This is also something that must be remembered for all customers not using it… and we think they will be in majority 😊

Would it not be better to have this as a part of a routine and add it when needed ? Seems  like it’s  more to remember when have to remove it 😉

Br

Morten & Linda 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I have questioned why this class needs to be there at installation time and people tell me it's necessary. If you like you can file an idea on having this removed from the installation scripts and made into something customers needs to configure before they install the system... And while typing that I realized if that could be done... If the document class is needed when table data is inserted/upgraded/migrated, the system is not yet up and running, so how can we have a user enter these classes? 🤔 Also, we want upgrades that does not require human intervention.

At any rate, this is not for the Docman team to decide. If you want to pursue this, you need to contact our A&D team.