Solved

Is it possible to not have Document Title default to the file name

• 9 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I am working with a customer that prefer to force the user the enter the Document Title when attaching a document to an IFS object, rather than have it default to the original file name.  They are looking to define a file naming convention on their documents and can’t always ensure the original file will follow it.  They primarily will be using “New” command in Document Attachments, then either dragging and dropping or navigating to the desired file.  Ideal state would be after selecting the desired document, the Title would remain blank, and user would have to type a Title.  I have looked around and don’t see any way to achieve this.

The best approach I can suggest is when creating a new Document, in the dialogue box enter the Document Title first, then drag/drop or browse to the desired file.  Write work instruction and train users to do it this way.  The manually entered title will be retained if user follows this process.

icon

Best answer by sueklk 11 December 2023, 03:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @jon.beimborn ,

I checked this in our latest environment as well and this is the intended functionality. The best approach is to enter the title prior to attaching the file as suggested by you.

If the above approach is not acceptable for the customer, kindly let us know the reason behind which will be helpful in our learning process and future releases.

Best regards,

Supun Ekanayake.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/supunchathurangae/

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

As Supun says, this feature is not possible to turn off currently. We think it's convenient and I think you also agree that it is, but there seem to be a conflict here perhaps between convenience for the user and getting good titles (important!) and getting a good title based on a bad file name might be what's causing this "issue".

I hope the workaround you suggested will also work for the customer. At least I cannot see it being a problem for me, if I were a "real" 🙂 user and had to type the title before I selected the file. After doing that a few times, it would probably be second nature.

If you like, add an idea in the Ideas section here on IFS Community, to get an option to control this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thank you both for the quick responses.  I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I had missed when checking through the Doc Man basic data settings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Someone recently did a small hack using BPA/Workflow where they basically intercept the request from the client to the server and change the response. I think the same technique might be possible to use here. That is, when we send the file name to the server to get a title back to suggest to the user, a Workflow might be able to change the result.

Here is a link to the post:

Might be worth trying out.