Question

Is it possible to connect a document folder to a projet ?

• 24 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hello,

As we have the possibility to connect a document to an object like Project via Object connections, is it possible to connect a document folder to a project ? What I want to say is to show a “Document folder” tab in “Attachments” tab of a project, like the picture shown below.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Daniel_JZH  It is not possible to add Document Folder to the attachment panel. If you go to Object Connections window and go to the help documentation, there you can see the available services you can add to the attachment panel

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @Daniel_JZH  It is not possible to add Document Folder to the attachment panel. If you go to Object Connections window and go to the help documentation, there you can see the available services you can add to the attachment panel

Hi @Amila Samarasinghe,

thanks for your response.

Yeah, I’ve seen it. It said that it’s “a sample list of standard services available in IFS Applications” and I was wondering whether there’s another list which is exhaustive...

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Daniel_JZH it is the only list I can find in the documentation. So it should be the only supported services list

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You have the answer now, I think. Now we want answers! :-)

Why do you want to do this, for what purpose, when, who, etc…?

And yes, we have got the question before, but it was a while ago now…

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

You have the answer now, I think. Now we want answers! :-)

Why do you want to do this, for what purpose, when, who, etc…?

And yes, we have got the question before, but it was a while ago now…

Hi @Mathias Dahl,

The colleagues in workshop need to archive several types of files (ex. inspection plan, checklist, etc.) in IFS linking with operations or shop orders. These documents will be used for quality inspection by other colleagues. I’m searching for an appropriate document management solution for this need, (and maybe other departments could use the same document folder tree for other purposes). The document folders will help to better classify the documents and to facilitate the search of the relative documents. As all these documents are specific for each project, I thought it would be great if we could have these folders linked to projects.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks!

Some ideas:

• Stop using folders and let the project be the “container” of the documents :-o A document folder, from my view, is a poor-man’s “real” business object, something we use when there is no other object to connect the documents to. Or, of course, we can see them as a way to group documents from other perspectives...
  • Implement a custom event that, at some triggering point, copies the documents from some template folder (or template project) to the project you want.
  • As above, but using a custom menu/command.
  • Copy the document connections from the document folder and paste them on the project. This requires some clicking, but if there are many documents it might be worth it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks!

Some ideas:

• Stop using folders and let the project be the “container” of the documents :-o A document folder, from my view, is a poor-man’s “real” business object, something we use when there is no other object to connect the documents to. Or, of course, we can see them as a way to group documents from other perspectives...
  • Implement a custom event that, at some triggering point, copies the documents from some template folder (or template project) to the project you want.
  • As above, but using a custom menu/command.
  • Copy the document connections from the document folder and paste them on the project. This requires some clicking, but if there are many documents it might be worth it.

@Mathias Dahl 

Thank you so much for your ideas ! I’ve also thought about some of them and you just ensure the possibility ;) 

And I’m now analyzing the advantages/disadvantages of each solution. Maybe I’ll come back to you if I have questions ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Daniel_JZH 

And I’m now analyzing the advantages/disadvantages of each solution. Maybe I’ll come back to you if I have questions ;)

Of course, we’re here to help! 💪🏻😀