Solved

Integration IFS and SharePoint and Teams

• 23 August 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Do anyone have information to share regarding IFS plans to implement a standard integration between IFS and SharePoint or Teams?

We have plans to integrate IFS Document Management and SharePoint. Publishing Documents from IFS Document Management in SharePoint, Teams

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 23 August 2021, 11:49

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for asking here.

There are no plans for that right now, but we’re of course always on the lookout for things our customers want to add.

Could you describe, perhaps in more details, what an “integration” would mean, for you? Just as an example, one simple “integration” could be to, on SharePoint pages, keep links to documents in IFS/Docman. A user clicking such a link would be taken to IFS (IEE or Aurena) and the document would open (if that is what you want).

Would that count as an “integration” for you? Yes/no? Why/why not? If it would work, such links could be added manually, if the number of documents are few and you seldom need to change them. Or it could happen automatically in some way.

So, if you like and if you are allowed to post more details, we might give a better answer. Also, it would help us in the future, should we look into a SharePoint integration.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi

Thanks for your reply. We think links to documents in IFS Docman will work. Probably we would need this to happen automatically. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for your reply. We think links to documents in IFS Docman will work. Probably we would need this to happen automatically. 

Once you know how the links should look like, I think you will be able to find a way to automate the creation of them, and placing them where needed on SharePoint.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Marianne and @Mathias Dahl since this topic is somewhat related to the work I am doing, just thought of sharing my experience / perspective with the purpose of learning something new. 

We have been using Sharepoint, onlyas a document portal in the past. After getting to know the IFS Docman capabilities, we are in the process of migrating all the documents from Sharepoint to IFS only. I am relatively new to the scene, but I noticed that IFS DocMan can do everything sharepoint portal could do. Hence from the perspective of our business, we are planning to make sharepoint obsolete. My technical colleagues who are carrying out the migration also tell me it will provide a great cost benefit. 

@Marianne might not agree with me based on their business, I understand. But I am just curious to know why ‘an integration’ is needed when IFS has a comprehensive document solution :) Is it due a challenge in the size of all the files? Or is there an organizational direction as to some users only get to access the sharepoint only? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@EnzoFerrari, you won’t know how happy I was when I read your latest reply :) Docman is, especially considering it is a built-in option to IFS and not an “external best of breed thing,” very capable. There are features in there that SharePoint users can never dream of getting. For sure, it might not always have the latest bells and whistles and we will always have things to work on, but it’s really competent if you learn its features well.

Since the topic came up, in IFS Cloud 21R2, a growing database is no longer a problem. We now have support for Azure cloud storage via the new File Storage Service (FSS) in IFS Cloud. In a sense, it’s a more modern and secure version of our old support for FTP and network/file shares.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mathias Dahl , of course. Somebody had to appreciate the wonderful solution you guys are developing right? That’s what I did :)

Looking forward to all the exciting features in IFS versions coming up. 

Cheers

Enzo

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thank you for your feedback. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

@Asela Munasinghe @Mathias Dahl Interesting discussion here. And I do agree about the beauty of our EDM. But what about if the customer wants to use our EDM with the rest of its solutions ? How would you achieve such an architecture ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Asela Munasinghe @Mathias Dahl Interesting discussion here. And I do agree about the beauty of our EDM. But what about if the customer wants to use our EDM with the rest of its solutions ? How would you achieve such an architecture ?

I guess the solution is “an integration” (yes, a very fuzzy term). With Aurena we have, I would say, a more modern collection of APIs which should make things a bit easier. Still, no integration is simple, unless people just store links to Docman in other systems. Such an integration is pretty easy…

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

We have started to look into a solution to publish a view copy of Latest Released Document Revision to SharePoint by using Custom Events.

It will be a one way “integration” where IFS DocMan is the master for Document Revision.

We are doing this because we have users who has a need to view documents outside IFS Applications

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

A solution as good as any, I think! :)

What will be the triggering point for you, and what technologies are you thinking about using to get the file across to SharePoint?