Question

IFS Managed Cloud - Document Management - Apps 10 UPD 12

• 7 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi,

Currently, We are Implementing IFS Apps 10 UPD 12 and above on IFS Managed Cloud.

We have very huge no.of documents to be migrated from legacy systems. As per IFS standard, we can store documents only in database..

But we have a concern of DB size growing as we have almost 1TB documents to be migrated.

Could you please suggest alternate solution.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @TecPravRe 

From my viewpoint, I’m afraid there are no more alternatives than to:

• NOT upload all of those documents or
  • NOT to use our managed cloud offering (e.g., run on premise)

My suggestion is to talk to the managed cloud team since this is not really a document management software restriction, and hear if they can make exceptions. I am pretty sure I have heard of teams that, in some way, have been able to use FTP repositories in the cloud, but I don’t know much details about that.

As you probably know, in IFS Cloud 21R2 we have a new storage option (called “IFS Cloud File Storage”) that will solve this problem. It does not help you on Apps 10 though, but it might be good to know about it.

It’s of course possible to think about “creative” solutions where, instead of keeping the files in IFS, we just store a link (this might work best for files you never intend to change). But then that link needs to be handled by some other software/server.

@Tim Jenner , would you have any comments to this?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

Please check to see which size of cloud service you are using as there may not be an issue.  Each cloud service size includes a maximum database size, which is the largest size the database can grow to (including any documents stored within it).  If your customer's service does not currently include a large enough configuration please discuss with their IFS Account Manager as this can be increased up to a maximum of 4.8TB.

FTP document repositories cannot be used in IFS' cloud services and exceptions are not permitted.  This is because FTP repositories do not support the level of security, resilience or supportability necessary to meet the service levels IFS provides under our cloud services.

If your customer expects to grow beyond 4.8TB in the future then it would certainly be another good reason to look at upgrading to IFS Cloud .  The forthcoming File Storage Service will enable documents to be stored separately from the database - however this solution is not yet available and, as Mathias says, will not be applicable to Apps 10.

Kind regards,
Tim