Solved

IFS Document Management Setup

• 7 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi

We are working on setting up a new FTP server for IFS Apps 10 Document Management but looking for guidance on the setup/config requirements for the server.

if there is a document that can be shared even better, as the IFS help files don’t go into this level of detail.

Some questions below:

1. Does IFS support using an SMB share from windows? If yes, are there any steps we need to take to ensure this works correctly?
  2. If the answer to the above is no.
    1. Does the FTP Server have to be hosted on Linux or can it be on windows?
    2. Does IFS communicate via SFTP or just FTP?
  3. Can the FTP server be ring-fenced in terms of network so only the IFS server can access it? Reducing any security concerns for that server.
  4. If FTP is required, are there any 3rd party FTP services that are unsupported, for example, winscp or filezilla?

Thanks in advance

Shaun

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 22 December 2021, 20:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @SHAUN_KERSLAKE ,

IFS Application 10 on-premise document management supports database, FTP and Shared Folder for storing documents.   We use a combination of database and Shared Folder within our environment.  We are using Windows 2019 server for our shared folder storage.  When you configure the shared directory on the server you need to make sure you add the IFS Application server computer into the permission for NTFS with at least Modify writes.     We successfully tested FTP using Windows FTP and FileZilla but the IT department preferred us to use Shared Folders.  

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Missed this completely.

Some answers below.

Does IFS support using an SMB share from windows? If yes, are there any steps we need to take to ensure this works correctly?

So, you ask if the Window Server, where IFS MWS is running, can access a Linux SMB (Samba) share. I am pretty sure the answer is yes. There is no way to provide credentials for the repository in Docman however, so you need to make sure, as William says, that the share can be accessed from the account running the MWS.

Does the FTP Server have to be hosted on Linux or can it be on windows?

Since FTP is a standard, all FTP servers will work the same, regardless of which platform they run on. As long as you use binary transfer mode, I would say, which we always do.

Does IFS communicate via SFTP or just FTP?

Just FTP. No SFTP or FTPS support on Apps 10.

Can the FTP server be ring-fenced in terms of network so only the IFS server can access it? Reducing any security concerns for that server.

If I understand what you mean, it can, and it should. It’s only the MWS that needs to be able to access the FTP server.

If FTP is required, are there any 3rd party FTP services that are unsupported, for example, winscp or filezilla?

I have tested Docman with FileZilla and the FTP server built into Microsoft IIS and probably some other FTP server on Linux/Unix as well. Again, every FTP server should work.