Solved

IFS Apps 9 shuts down when attaching a doc

• 28 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

Users seem to be experiencing an intermittent issue recently where they try to attach a document via the file explorer and it immediately shuts down the IFS session.

When we try again later it seems to work fine.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Tharindu Rasnakawewa 6 December 2021, 14:57

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

I don't know or cannot guess the cause of this. IFS crashing is very uncommon, and I cannot even remember that it has happened to me when using Docman.

Are they using drag and drop to attach files when it crashes or does it happen when they use the built-in file selector too?

Do they have any customization in Docman, or in the screen they use when it crashes?

I can't say how to do it, but perhaps Windows keeps a log with information about programs that have crashed and which might give a clue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi

Users seem to be experiencing an intermittent issue recently where they try to attach a document via the file explorer and it immediately shuts down the IFS session.

When we try again later it seems to work fine.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thank you

Hi ,

The reported issue can be caused because of several reasons. But with the provided information we can’t exactly figure out what the cause is. But I can provide you possible causes so that you can check on that.

- Need to check whether the users are connected via VPN when the problem occurs?
- Need to check whether the issue only appears when attaching documents associated with MS Office packages ?
- This is likely related to Microsoft extensions and Office 365 or Windows package. PD team has provided some suggestions related to this. Can you please check if disabling the extension prevents the issue for appearing.
- At the point of the crash there is a Microsoft Shell Extension handler which is getting loaded ; "msoshext.dll" From "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16\msoshext.dll" . Shell extension handlers are loaded by Microsoft office to render thumbnails (etc.) . This is likely what's causing the issue.

You could investigate whether disabling this extension solves the problem. You could do this by temporarily renaming the file

Hope above information will help you in resolving the issue.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Tharindu