Question

IFS Apps 10 Document Management Documentation?

• 22 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Can anyone kindly point me to where I will find the documentation for IFS Document Management for Apps 10? 

I am an end user (IT Manager) and quite new to IFS and am trying to get to grips with how our system is set up.

I have found many pages/docs that are related to this but nothing which explains broadly how document management works and then drills down to all the details like document class management, user/group access, etc.

We have a pretty basic setup from what I can see so just need something that will get me going. We have many users who need access to things like specification documents attached to inventory parts and they don’t currently have access.

Many thanks,

Matt

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

You won’t likely find something within the normal documentation.  We ended up getting a bit of training and consultation from an IFS consultant to get the initial setup.  I will look around and see if we still have a presentation for the setup.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Matthew,

I think that you are on IFS Apps 10 so have attached a doc that should help.

I have also attached an overview for IFS Cloud as well and online training for this can be accessed in IFS Academy here 

IFS Academy (sabacloud.com)

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

Antony

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Thanks @anbouk Antony, that looks like an update version of the presentation I was going to go find.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You won’t likely find something within the normal documentation.  We ended up getting a bit of training and consultation from an IFS consultant to get the initial setup.  I will look around and see if we still have a presentation for the setup.

I would not dismiss the "normal" documentation that easily 🙂 

For sure, our functional/process documentation is not "training", and it also doesn't work well as a setup guide. Still, it's all in there and we commit to document everything there. If some feature, behavior or setting is not explained in the documentation, I would see that as a bug.

If you want a good overview of what the capabilities of Docman are, you can start by looking at our main processes. Here is an example of the biggest one, Create And Maintain Document:

If you drill down into a specific sub process you will see all the activities involved in that, visualized in an activity diagram:

There's also a big section on basic data, or BDR (Basic Data Requirements) as it's called in the documentation:

Also, we have a hidden gold mine in there, under "Topics" where common/important topics/concepts are explained, often in great detail. Here is an example of such a document:

You will find all this by opening the help from within IFS.

If you don't know where to find the documentation in your installation and just want to get a feel for it, you could review the documentation for IFS Cloud, which is available online. It's different from Apps 10 in some respects, but when it comes to Docman it's very similar to Apps 10. Here is a direct link to the documentation for IFS Cloud 22R1:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/22r1/

With some practice, navigating the documentation is not that hard, and the search capabilities are quite good too.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Matthew,

I think that you are on IFS Apps 10 so have attached a doc that should help.

I have also attached an overview for IFS Cloud as well and online training for this can be accessed in IFS Academy here 

IFS Academy (sabacloud.com)

Thanks for sharing both those files and the link. Good stuff!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thank you all for contributing to the thread. I’ve had a look through the docs and the help and am getting a better idea now. 

Frustrating that there isn’t anything more on the IFS Academy. It seems so patchy on what it offers and in what areas. Likewise with the YouTube channel. For a newcomer like myself, an overview / demo video on each area of the system would have been a massive help when trying to get to grips with what is a very big and complicated system.

Kind regards,

Matt 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Something for @Linda Smit and @Jochen Wolter to ponder perhaps?

Badge +1

Unfortunately we don't have any demo videos of Apps 10 version of Document Management in Academy.

There is a good overview and demo at