Question

How to easily move documents from one folder to another ?

• 2 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi, 

How to easily move documents from one folder to another ?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Linda,

Thanks for posting here.

First, how do you define "easy"?... :)

We don't have any specific command for that purpose yet, nor do we have a way to move documents from a folder to another using drag and drop, like we had in IEE.

The easiest way I can think of is to use copy and paste from the Document Folder Navigator / Documents tab. So select and copy documents from one folder, then navigate to/select another, then paste the documents there. Lastly, detach the documents from the first folder, if needed.

I just tried this and, depending on the exact scenario the user has, the process was totally okay, even "easy"...

Did you try this already?

/Mathias

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks for the quick and suggested solution Mathias!

1. The customer has looked at this and it can work when there are few documents to be moved. When there are many to be moved and it can quickly be, it becomes very confusing, and the best thing then is to use two tabs / windows to mark the same files twice. Copy in one and delete in the other. The very best thing is if drag and drop could have worked the way it did before. Now there is a decline, and the customer is not happy.

1. See attached document. When does "copy" become active here?

/Linda :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

The attachment did not work for me:

Can you paste an image here, in a reply?

Regardless, though, this is a feature that we do not have yet in Aurena.

Another option would be to develop a custom event for them. At some trigger point (perhaps writing the “target” folder name or folder identifier in some field), some custom event action would move all the documents to the other folder. That should not be very hard as long as they want to move all documents.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Ah, I have not even seen that command :) Seems like a general feature of the tree that we can use if we want to. I think right now there probably is not any code in this page that enables that feature. But it would quite cumbersome to move many documents that way, would it not?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Mathias Dahl 

I didn't realize you asked me a question in your last reply. Do you have another way that you think is easier? I don't know all the options very well :-)

Br

Linda

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi again. I don't have any other suggestions right now. I just now tried this process to move documents:

1. Select documents from the Documents tab on Folder A
2. Use the command Copy Selected Rows
3. Delete selected documents (yes, scary, I know)
4. Go to new folder, paste rows.

Worked well.

Perhaps you should file an idea here on Community for having an easier way to move documents?