Skip to main content
Solved

Document Revision Approve vs Release

• 24 July 2024
  • 2 replies

What is the difference between Approved and Released status for Document Revision?

Document Revision once Approved can no longer be edited. What is the purpose / reason for then having to change the status to Released? Is there any harm / functionality misses in leaving a Document Revision in status Approved?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@SidneyIFS640 This is for the users where they need to approve a document first, before releasing it for a mass audience at a certain timeline. E.g. Annual financial reports, finalized product specifications/drawings for production etc. When releasing you can decide who else should have access to the document and share with them.

Also There is a setting on object connected document - which document revision to update when there are new revisions (e.g. Fixed, Latest revision, latest released rev). In this case you might have to omit setting “Update revision = Latest Released revision” if it is not used.

But if there is no specific need for 2 states, its up to the user. you can keep the document in approved state and obsolete it when it is no longer required.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

I had the same question when I started working with IFS Document Management in the Dark Ages. Apart from what Dishmi said, one way to think about it is that approved documents is in some kind of "staging area". Approved, good, but not yet to be released into the wild, or to be used. Releasing the document is putting it out there, to be used by the users. That's how I see it, you use it in the way you find best. There are some features that are triggers on releasing, like allowing changing the access via an assistant, which is what Dishmi is talking about.

I think you should use it.