Question

Document Management - Importing Files

• 8 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We would like to o create a folder/database of files in IFS for our Proof of Delivery documents that we can search by Order Number, PO Number, Invoice Number, etc. and retrieve the Proof of Delivery.

Does IFS have the capability scan files directly into IFS or have a scan imported to a folder within IFS? And then those files can be searched to retrieve a specific document?

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Gena,

We don't have exactly what you ask for when it comes to importing documents I think, being able to just point to a folder and all files should magically turn into documents in IFS.

There are other options though, and the easiest one to use is the File Import screen in IFS. If you have not tried it, you should. It has some limitations though, in how many documents you can import in a go. Or, there is no strict number limit, but I would say that you might not want to import more than a hundred, or perhaps a few hundreds of documents that way. In theory I think the table/list/grid in the client used to keep track of the files to be imported support 10,000 records, but I would not count on that many records to work. Since that client is client-driven, with quite a few calls being made to the server for each import, it is also not very fast.

But, all that being said, it works quite nicely and you should try it out.

Another option is a tool that is also an IFS component, named "AIIM". This will let you import documents to Docman, based on information in an Excel sheet and files in a folder on disk. If I were to guess you probably have not bought that from us, so that might not be an option for you.

The last option is to make something custom to fit your purposes. It takes some programming/scripting, but it does not need to be that hard to make some import tool, actually. And by using some custom tool, you might also be in a better position to get the data to look exactly like you want to, when it ends up in IFS.

Regardless which option you chose, once imported, and given you can provide the necessary information (document number and title primarily) I think you can probably handle that Proof of Delivery. I probably cannot advice here since I don't know what that concept means, so you might want to get in touch with some IFS consultant that knows that area, and some of Docman. Possibly you should make use of document/object connections as well, for this, and not just import all the documents.

In case the above is not enough and unless someone else here chimes in, I would recommend you get hold of an IFS consultant (or partner to us) that can help you achieve what you need. This might be a topic that requires more discussion that what is practical here.

Good luck!

/Mathias