Document Management FAQ

• 21 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Docman fans!

This post is an experiment to see if we could keep one thread where we collect the most common questions asked about IFS Document Management (aka “Docman”).

We could either add links to this entry itself, to other discussions here, or we could add each link in its own reply below. We’ll see what works best.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Can we set a limit on the size of files uploaded to Docman?

The short answer is that there is no setting for this per se, but that you can probably get it to work. Here is one of several posts that discuss it:

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

How can I get document X, which is connected to object A, also connected to, or seen from, object B?

Typical scenarios:

• I want documents on a work task also to be seen on the work order
  • I want documents connected to a PO line also to be seen on the PO header
  • I want documents on the inventory part also to be seen on my engineering part
  • Etc.

The first option to solve this problem is to use what we call Object Connection Transformation. The name is a bit strange, but the functionality is very nice :)

Search this site for "Object Connection Transformation" (also “transfer documents”) and you will find a posts that discuss it.

Also check out the official documentation on it:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/21r2/ProcessModels/Process_Model/DefineObjectConnectionTransformations.htm?StandAlone=true

The process model above has all you need: a link to the "about document" that explains the concept as well as links to instructions on how to add rules.

Also, check in your system and you will see there are already a lot of Object Connection Transformation rules set up, that you can take inspiration from.

The second option is to make use of a custom event, with a custom event action. Unlike Object Connection Transformation, where connections are just "shown" in other places, this option can be used to actually duplicate document connections from one object to another.