Solved

Cloud DocMan without Aurena Agent

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

New to doing DocMan in a Cloud environment.

What would a user be unable to perform with the Aurena Agent not installed, i.e. can most functionality (create, edit, check-in, view) be done without it?

Asking as I am expecting a customer to not have the address info required for running the MSI installation, and unable to configure any User Settings.

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 10 August 2022, 14:31

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Matt,

almost everything is still possible but a little bit more cumbersome. Main limitation is that (because of the browser technology) the Aurena client does not have the right to write to any file folder. Therefore you

• can’t define a folder for check out
  • can’t copy files to a specific folder

If you check out a file it will just be stored in the download folder of your operating system. (That’s the location where the browser has access rights for writing files.)

So, you still can work without the Aurena Agent but you have to do an additional step in Windows (e. g. copy the file from the download folder to the destination.)

Best regards, Heinz 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks @heibde

Adding to that, one quite small, but still annoying thing if you don’t have the AA installed and enabled for your environment, is that, when you want to check in a document you checked out for editing, you need to know where it was downloaded and “manually” select it from there. This means you can actually select the wrong file (but you will get a warning if the file names does not match) when you check in.

Then the AA can do nice things like executing macros, if you need that. And if you want support for automatically checking in view copies (often a PDF file) along with the original file (Word, Excel, etc.), then you also need the AA.

We try to provide as much functionality as we can without using the Aurena Agent, but for some features you really need it. That is, until we do all our document editing in a web browser, which I think is still many years into the future...

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Hi Matt,

almost everything is still possible but a little bit more cumbersome. Main limitation is that (because of the browser technology) the Aurena client does not have the right to write to any file folder. Therefore you

• can’t define a folder for check out
  • can’t copy files to a specific folder

If you check out a file it will just be stored in the download folder of your operating system. (That’s the location where the browser has access rights for writing files.)

So, you still can work without the Aurena Agent but you have to do an additional step in Windows (e. g. copy the file from the download folder to the destination.)

Best regards, Heinz 

@heibde I am in an environment where I do not have the AA installed. Working as the app owner with DocMan Admin privileges, but when I select View for any document nothing happens, nothing goes to my Downloads folder.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Matt,

not sure if this is related to AA. I also do not have AA installed on my pc as I don’t have the priviledges to install it. And it works fine for me. Which document type is it? PDF?

Best regards, Heinz

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@heibde I am working with a docx file. Also cannot download it from its connected object, file goes nowhere. I can view it from the File Refs tab which sends it to Downloads folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@heibde I am working with a docx file. Also cannot download it from its connected object, file goes nowhere. I can view it from the File Refs tab which sends it to Downloads folder.

Sounds like a bug, or possibly a permission issue but since you are logged in with the app owner you should have all permissions. Does it work with a normal user that has the correct Docman projections granted?

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Sounds like a bug, or possibly a permission issue but since you are logged in with the app owner you should have all permissions. Does it work with a normal user that has the correct Docman projections granted?

@Mathias Dahl I logged in as the user that created it and is still responsible for the document and View/Edit/Download functionality is not working without AA. This is in a 21R1 environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Strange… I just tested in our 21R1 and I could use the Download command from the attachment area without any problem.

I cannot say what the problem is, sorry.

You could try and enable the Debug console and see if you can see any error there and also check under the Network tab in Chrome’s developer tools if you can see any errors there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

I see many instances of “Got reply from agent with status FAILED and result text Security Error: Requests from x.x.com are not trusted. Please install the IFS Aurena Agent again for this host.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It’s strange to get those messages at the same time as the AA is working. At any rate, they don’t have anything to do with Download not working when the AA is not enabled.

Actually, I am confused about what you are saying now. Is the AA enabled or not? A simple way to turn it off is to disable the IFS Aurena Extension in your web browser.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

AA was not enabled. After I disabled the Aurena Extension in Chrome I was able to View/Edit/Download.