Question

Adding to a folder when create Document

• 3 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Is there a way I can add a document to a folder at Craete Document? Otherwise, I have to start from a folder or add a document later to a folder.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AanHGTS ,

What is the logic IFS need to use to do so?

If you can define a logic, i guess it is not to hard to create a custom event to do so.

Can you let us know in what version you are working, that depends also on the solution and posibilities.

Thanks and good luck,

Robert Kool

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

As Robert says, a bit more details would be good. Apart from the custom event approach, we have in the Create Documents assistant a way to connect a new document to a folder. Does that solve your problem? You mention yourself that you "have to start from a folder" - is that so bad? In fact, I think it might be easier to first find the folder you want to connect the document to than to select the folder in the assistant. And, as Robert says, if a custom event is used, what is the logic in how the system should know which folder to connect the document to? 🤔 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thanks @EqeRobertK and @Mathias Dahl 

“Create Documents assistant a way to connect a new document to a folder” - Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for, but when creating a document from an Object. When you use Create Documents Assistant, you need to establish the Object Connections as a second step by searching for the Object (Key Ref) you need to connect the document. But if you are already on the Object, it is easy to create a document directly from there. For example,  create a document directly from the Product Structure window. Then we lose that opportunity to place it into a folder. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Did you know that you can control what should happen when you click New Document there? You can, and one of the options is to open the Create Document Assistant. It's controlled by this default value in Docman:

You can read about the options here:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r1/CreateAndMaintainDocument/AboutDocumentDefaultValues.htm?StandAlone=true

When you create a document after configuring the system that way the Create Document Assistant will open and in the step where you can connect an object, the object you came from will be filled in already and you can also select a folder at the top of the page:

Hope this helps.