Question

3D models Xref in Document Management

• 30 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi

Is it possible to store 3D models Xrefs in Docman using Document structures?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

I could say "yes", but you might get the wrong expectations then...

The underlying data model supports storing 3D CAD and similar large document structures via the Structure Document concept.

Now, in IFS Cloud (Aurena) we don't have a good UI for checking in whole file/folder structures, nor have we a good UI for viewing or editing the same structures. In IEE we had better support for it.

If you are planning to make an integration, that might be a way around the lack of UI for multi file/document file operations for document structures. Also, you can make sure there are view copies for users who normally don't work with the 3D models themselves.

So, from a storage perspective, you should be fine. But the user experience might be lacking (some manual work needed), depending on your use case.

Could you write a little about the underlying requirement? How did you think about using this?

Thanks!

/Mathias

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

Firstly, my comments are not related to Aurena (or IFS Cloud which the question was tagged with). I just wanted to share my experience regarding the topic.

I have tested this for both linking internal documents in MS Word like a Personal handbook with appendices, and for Drawing Xrefs, and my spontaneous reaction was that Mathias answer was a bit too humble :) The support for this is really good and the feature works fine!

What I have experienced though is that the interaction (or UI) could be slightly enhanced. (The lack of support in Aurena is not considered here.) I have over the years posted a couple of ideas to make the process smoother (including some new Basic data settings). But until more customers start to use the Structure support for this kind of requirements I have full understanding that those enhancements are not implemented, but I am still hoping :)

One should also be aware of that the sub documents (supporting document or Model files which they often are called in Xref contexts) have to be placed in the same folder or an adjacent folder structure. Quite often you receive a more complex structure from the constructor/contractor. The Check in dialog simply doesn’t let you select from anything else, e.g. you cannot go up one level before going down in another branch to select a sub file.
Pure technically though, it is possible to set that kind of relative paths in the system (column PATH in EDM_FILE_TAB) to support such complex structures and it works!  That is, if you implement an integration that imports your Xref documents - or use IFS Asset Information Integration Manager (AIIM)! - you can also have support for the more complex types of structures.

/Erik