Solved

Intersite Flow: Automatic Part Creation

• 13 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We are in IFS App10 Upd9.

Need to design a solution where in the absence of a Sales part in the Supply site, the incoming customer order triggers a notification and possibly creates the inventory part / sales part. (Master Part is available) automatically upon approval. Is there somebody already using a similar setup? Need not be the same. 

What would be the best way to implement this? Please share your ideas. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Kanishka Dilana 15 January 2022, 12:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi @Asela Munasinghe,

Is it possible to generate the Incoming Customer Order without having an Inventory Part in the supply site, in the first place ?

How about using the Copy Part window in the application ? You can create the same Inventory Part and the Sales Part in the supply site. Also, you can disable the copy of Purchase Part in this window because generally the same part is a Manufactured part in the supply site.

After the copy, you can do the manual adjustments in the supply site which I believe will be less compared to creating everything manually from the scratch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

We have a custom event to notify the users when the sales part doesn’t exist.

Yes it is possible to create the order on one side without the part being setup on the other, the incoming customer order will fail if the full setup isn’t there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Asela Munasinghe,

I think you can create two Custom Menus against Incoming Customer Order Line to create Supply Site Inventory and Sales Parts (I could’ve done this with one RMB option, but in APPS10 there is a Character Limit for Custom Menus, so had to go for two Menu options instead).

Note: I know this flow is not automated to the extent you want, but if you can spend some time on this, hopefully you can come up with a ‘workable’ solution without going for a Customization, etc.., so just want to share some suggestion here.

See below,

• I have my Inventory/Sales Part Only in Demand Site (Because of the reason mentioned in @Tharindu Illangasinghe’s reply, to simulate this in a Core environment, I had to create PO and then Delete the Supply end Inventory Part afterwards),

• Initially ICO will err with Missing Sales Part error,

• Then I execute my Custom Menus, one after the other,

• After creating two Parts, I could Approve my ICO without further issue,

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Our follow up solution is similar to Kanishka’s suggestion.  After notification, there is a separate RMB to create the sales part, then the rest is automatic.  The reason it isn’t automatic from the notification is because there are quite a few human checks to verify things are further setup correctly (inventory part in target site is the correct one, cost is available, lead time, etc, etc)  All things that a human should have done already, but still can’t be done by a machine as there is no knowledge of these things.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Asela Munasinghe I agree with @ShawnBerk on the fact that it is not advisable to fully-automate a ICO Approval + Inventory/Sales Part creation flow due to various reasons (Some are explained in @ShawnBerk’s reply).

Anyway, by adding same Custom Menu Commands (See my original reply) as an  ‘Execute Online SQL’ type Custom Event Action against EXTERNAL_CUST_ORDER_LINE_TAB, I managed to Auto create Supply end Inventory and Sales Part alongside with the ROWSTATE changes at one go, so even within Standard IFS, it’s technically possible to Automate above flow I should say.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Sounds good to me, thanks all for the suggestions. @Kanishka Dilana I will do some testing on this and come back if I get any questions. Thanks alot!