Question

Automatic Reservation for full and partial picking from Handling Units

• 4 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi , 

Could some one please explain how to setup automatic customer order reservation in IFS Cloud, for the below scenario.

Our handling units are stored in 5 levels (Tier A,B,C,D,E) A is the lowest and E is the highest.
We have divided tiers into 2 zones (C,D,E as highest zone and A,B as lowest zone). 

Standard size of Handling unit is 22 cans(18 ltr each).

If the customer order qty is 22 cans or multiples of full qty of handling units, system should reserve pallet from highest zone with the earliest expiry date ie. from C or D or E based on expiry date. It is easy for a picker to pick full pallets (handling units) from upper levels using a forklift .

If the customer order qty is 5 cans (less than full qty of handling unit), system should reserve cans from lowest zone with the earliest expiry date ie. from A or B based on expiry date. It is easy for a picker to pick few cans from the lower level than climbing up and picking.

If the customer order qty is 47 cans( 2 full handling unit and 3 pieces), then system should reserve 2 handling unit with 22 cans each from higher zone and 3 cans from lower zone. It is easy for a picker to pick 2 full pallet from the higher level using forklift and then pick 3 cans from lower level. 

Please see below the setup we used.

The challenge here is system reserves total 3 handling units , 22 cans of two handling unit and 3  cans from the other handling unit , and all 3 reservations are from highest zones. How to set up automatic reservation so that system reserve 2 handling units of 22 cans each from highest zone and 3 from lowest zone? In other words full pallet qty (handling units ) from highest zone and small quantity from lowest zone?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

I think you can solve this by using the putaway zones. In the putaway zone definition you set up the priority order for reservation:

Here I have defined that we first reserve in picking location and then bulk. However you can notice that there is also a setup in the field Handling Unit Reservation Ranking, with this field I can have a different order for reservation of complete handling units e.g. complete pallets are reserved in bulk zone, quantity less than a pallet are reserved in pick zone.

You need to define which handling unit types you want this to be applied for as well by tucking the Use Handling Unit reservation Ranking:

If I have understood your need correct, this should be possible to achieve with these settings.

Best Regards

Fredrik