Solved

Reserve Serial No on Purchase Order

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Using Apps10.  We are using a PO to receive returns from customers because we need to have the parts be customer owned.  If we use an RMA the ownership changes to Company Owned.  We would like to reserve the serial number to the PO line when the PO is created.  When we try to do that we get the message that the serial number is already used by this part.  However, when we do a Receive with Serial Numbers we are allowed to enter an existing serial number.  It seems that if we can receive an existing SN we should be able to reserve an existing SN.  Does anyone know if there is a way to reserve existing serial numbers to a PO?

icon

Best answer by Vimukthi Mahakumbura 6 May 2021, 14:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Standard functionality here is you cannot reserve serial numbers that already exist in the part serial catalog (Part Serial window) or that already are reserved on another order. Therefore you need to use anew SN and not an existing SN.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

That will not work because the customer is returning the part so the SN will always already exist.  I find it interesting that there is a check for if SN exists when the SN is reserved but not when it is received into inventory on the arrival.

Phil

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That will not work because the customer is returning the part so the SN will always already exist.  I find it interesting that there is a check for if SN exists when the SN is reserved but not when it is received into inventory on the arrival.

Phil

Hi,

If you have a possibility of allowing multiple ownership in the site level, you can overcome this issue. 

Is it possible?

Cz then, you can register the arrival of same SN with reference to the PO line. 

In fact, I think you should have above allowed with this said requirement. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I will look into that.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I might have to ask some more questions latter.

Phil

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I am missing something.  By checking the Allow Multiple Owners per Inventory box what should I be able to do that was not possible without it checked?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I am missing something.  By checking the Allow Multiple Owners per Inventory box what should I be able to do that was not possible without it checked?

Thanks

You should be able to receive the PO line with ownership as Customer Owned and with the same SN which was delivered using the CO.

At the creation of the PO line, change the ownership to Customer Owned and enter the customer name. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I am able to receive the PO with the same SN that was delivered to the customer but I still cannot reserve the SN on the PO line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I am able to receive the PO with the same SN that was delivered to the customer but I still cannot reserve the SN on the PO line.

Hi, When you can receive the PO with the same SN, what do you mean/expect by reserving the SN on the PO line. Can you kindly explain with perhaps business requirement?

Thanks. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

These are high value part.  The person creating the PO is working with the customer and we would like to reserve the SN at that time so there is no mistake entering a SN when the part is received.  We also need to use the SN to determine the correct lot batch number so knowing the SN prior to PO receipt would be beneficial.  We might have to use a custom field on the PO line to hold the SN.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

These are high value part.  The person creating the PO is working with the customer and we would like to reserve the SN at that time so there is no mistake entering a SN when the part is received.  We also need to use the SN to determine the correct lot batch number so knowing the SN prior to PO receipt would be beneficial.  We might have to use a custom field on the PO line to hold the SN.

Thanks

Hi,

Ok. Hope you can use a custom field in PO line then to know the SN before receipt. 

Standard system behavior will not permit to reserve a SN that is already being used. 

But I hope our efforts helped you to Receive the SN with reference to the PO line with ownership = Customer Owned.  That is better than receiving from Receive into Inventory. 

Thank you.