Question

Queue Time

• 19 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello, I’m trying to understand how queue time works in IFS.  I have a queue time loaded for WC 1 - 48 hours.  Looking at part 123 that goes through this work center, the start date for Operation 1 is 04.08.24 and if I change the queue time to 0 within this shop order, the start date doesn’t change.

Is there a setting that needs to be turned on in order for queue time to affect the start date or does queue time not affect the operation start date?  Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Queue Time - the amount of time a job waits at a work center before setup or work is performed on the job (APICS Dictionary, 15th ed.).

So, no, queue time does not affect the Start Date of an operation. It does, however, affect the start date of the shop order, which in turn determines when any materials not connected to an operation will be required for operation 1. It also affects the Finish Date of the preceding operation.

Here I have an operation where the run time is 10 units/hour, order lot size = 10, work center queue time is 48, Need Date is 4/15. Operation duration is one hour, material is required in stock 6 manufacturing days prior.

Changing the Queue Time to 0, the operation Start Date remains the same (still only taking one hour to run) but the order Start Date is changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The queue time also impacts the required date/time of the material linked to the operation (At least in IFS Cloud). So basically, the queue time creates a buffer before the operation start date/time when the material from previous operation and the material from stock is made available until the operation is actually planned to start. It typically gives the shop floor a bit of flexibility to sequence operations in the best order.