Solved

Purchase Order Return - Early Delivery

• 15 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Morning all,

We have an issue where we have certain suppliers who “chance it” and send us material that they have finished early (sometimes months early). Obviously we don’t want to be taking on this stock until we actually need it however as some of it is sent by courier i.e. FEDEX, UPS etc we get the courier dropping the item off, takes a quick signature and then they are on their way. It is only after manual inspection of the delivery later that we realise that we have something we didn’t yet need.

I know what you are all thinking. just tell the supplier to stop doing it! (apparently they don’t listen)

For audit obviously we have to register the purchase order arrival but after this we have 3 options. 

1. Leave the stock as registered and keep stored in a goods-in location
  2. Return for Credit
  3. Return for Rework

The only one that works in the way they want is Return for Rework in so far as it halts the payment, creates a return note and upon it coming back we can just re-register the arrival.

This is all fine but obviously not a perfect match and also means that when reporting against rework I (or any other report writers) will have to remember to omit a return code of “Early Delivery” otherwise we would be mis-reporting our rework figures.

Does anyone know of a more logical way of returning stock to a supplier that isn’t scrap or to be re-worked?

Regards

Nathan

icon

Best answer by IC-LukaszP 15 June 2020, 16:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Nathan,

I think that is rather a business problem than system issue. Have you tried charging your Supplier? In many companies something like 'daily warehouse place occupation fee' is calculated. Harsh solution, but still, maybe it could work depends on the partnership you have, arrangements and simple business decency.

BR, Lukasz

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I have already suggested all these things however the department in question are still adamant they want this ability… you can lead a horse to water as they say!

At least I can go back having done my part and asked the question. 

Thanks for our input again Lukasz, much appreciated.

Regards

Nathan

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Glad to see it is not just my company that seems to want to customize the system to match their processes / compensate for shortcomings in not wanting to tackle a problem with supply chain or employees / do mundane work.

My retort line is - if the system did everything for you, you wouldn’t have a job.