Question

Inventory Part Commodity Code Entry/Taxonomy

• 13 July 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello,

We are at implementation process of IFS and we are trying to find the right field to be used to assign parts category for parts classification. It doesn’t seem to be any of these fields:

Would anyone know?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @NGADBOIS ,

Is this APP10 Aurena? Which window are you in?

Regards

Susith

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Aurena Yes.

I am here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @NGADBOIS ,

If it is for grouping the items/parts, I would suggest using Product Family or Product Code. You can actually categorize/classify the parts by different ways. Product Family and Product Code is used most.

Thanks,

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

In fact I would need 2 category level.  Here are example:

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Product family / Product Code isn’t supposed to be related to link the part to a our end product?

For example, I have a Electronic component, a Resistor, that is to be used on my internal product called GRC245.   I thought the product family field would be GRC245 isn’t?  If not, where I enter the name of the product the part has been created for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Product family / Product Code isn’t supposed to be related to link the part to a our end product?

For example, I have a Electronic component, a Resistor, that is to be used on my internal product called GRC245.   I thought the product family field would be GRC245 isn’t?  If not, where I enter the name of the product the part has been created for?

Are you referring to the BoM (Bill of Materials) for a product you are manufacturing, and where to define the BOM ?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@NGADBOIS 

In your example, 

Level 1 = Product Family

Level 2 = Product Code

“Product Created For” does not have a specific home if you are trying to relate that back to a parent item.  In order to manufacture the parent part, it would indeed have to be entered on the Product Structure as Thushitha refers to.  However, if you are not intending to connect the full product structure at this moment and are looking for a shorthand grouping for certain parts, then you can also use Type Designation for this purpose unless you have already used this field for another purpose.