Alternate part functionalities for purchasing and planning

• 4 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
  • Do Gooder (Partner)
  • 10 replies

Hi, 

I tried to find an answer on previous topics but i’m afraid my use case is not covered.

I’d like to implement the below functionning in IFS :

- If I have a need of 10 PCS for component A (customer order)
- And if I already have 8 PCS of component B in stock.
- I want a need of only 2 PCS of component A to be triggered by the system (purchase requisition).

To do so i guess i need to set-up part B as alternate of part A. 
I tried to set-up alternate purchase part & alternate component functionalities but it does not seems to work, even when “Include in MRP netting” is set-up at alternate component level, and when “plan alternate component” is ticked for MRP performing.

I guess I missed a piece of set-up.

Thanks for your precious help.

BR.

Baptiste.

Note : I’m on IFS cloud 21R1.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @BLGBE 

I am sorry your requirement here is not fully clear to me. Do you want to create a purchase  alternative part (B) for master part (A)?

Best Regards,
Tharaka,

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi, 
yes that’s my objective !
Needs calculation for part A must take into account quantities in stock for part B.
Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @BLGBE 

Can you check if supplier for purchase part records available for purchase alternative parts as well. It has to be as same as the purchase master part (supplier, site)

Best Regards,
Tharaka.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi, 
Thanks for your answer.
Both supplier for purchase parts exist for part A & B, in the same site, on the same supplier.
BR.
Baptiste. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

The option to Plan Alternate Component in MRP pertains only to the situation where primary part A has demand originating from a parent part(s), i.e., when A is seen as a component. If B is set as an Alternate Component of A and B is set to Include During MRP, on-hand inventory of B will be considered as supply before generating any supply required of A.

When a customer order line is entered for part A, MRP will see the demand from the CO Line and plan supply of A accordingly. MRP will not examine the availability of any alternate parts. You might want to setup Alternate Sales Part Base Data, where B can be defined as an alternate sales part for A. With this setup, and running Availability Check, if there is not enough A to satisfy the required quantity on the required date, you have the option to substitute part B for A partially or completely on the customer order. 

When an alternate purchase part has been setup, this simply allows you to add/change a purchase order line from the primary part A to any of its alternates defined in the Alternate Purchase Part Base Data page. This is for those situations when the Supplier cannot meet the quantity and/or date requirement for the primary part A. This requires the same supplier to be setup as a supplier for both parts A and B.

So in the original situation above, only if A were a purchased component at some level in the structure of the sales part on the customer order would MRP do what you expect and plan to use the (8) on-hand of B plan a purchase requisition for (2) of part A.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Matt, 

I really want to thank you for the time you spent writing this detailed answer. 

It’s very clear from my side now. 

BR. 

Baptiste.