Question

What is the correct process for creating Serial Objects and moving within Functional Objects?

• 21 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi, 

When a Serial Objects (Ownership: Company Rental Asset) position is ‘In Inventory’ what is the correct process for assigning that SO with a superior structure (‘Belongs to Object’) such as maybe a group, or a department (Functional Object)?

Steps I have followed so far:

1. Create Inventory Part (serial tracked)
  2. Receive Inventory Part (via NREC or PO)
    1. Ownership: CRA
  3. Make Part Serial ‘Maintenance Aware’
    1. This creates the Serial Object with the Serial No matching the Inventory Part in Stock record.

At this point, the Serial Objects position is ‘In Inventory’ Im therefore unable to select a ‘Belongs to Object’ as you receive the error stating its not possible due to the position being ‘In Inventory’

If I start the creation at the Serial Object stage, entering the Part No and Serial No, im able to select a Belongs to Object therefore placing the Serial Object within a Functional Object.

Im then however, unable to receive the Inventory Part into stock with the matching serial, as the Part Serial already exists… Do you have to issue the SO before it can be moved? These are rental assets so will always be moving intercompany to project demand.

Also, is there a reason why a Serial Object thats ownership is CRA,  is not visible in tree within the Equipment Object Navigator, when it does have a superior object assigned?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

James

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @WyrJamesG,

When you use the “Maintenance Aware” functionality in a Serial part still in inventory it cannot be moved around structures because the part is still in the inventory. For a serial object to be moved around structures it needs to issued and placed in facility.  You can issue the serial through a work task and place it in the functional/serial structure using the “Place Serial in Structure” command in Execute Work task page. 

If the serial is already issued, then you can use the “Place Serial in structure” option when using the maintenance aware. 

So basically a serial part always has to be issued before it is brought into the facility and placed in a structure.

Regards,
Asitha 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Asitha, Thanks for the reply.

When the Rental Part is reserved ready to issued from Company A to Company B, we have a Mobilization WO created. Could this Place in Serial Structure take place within a task here?

What is the purpose of the ‘In Facility’ Location? When I issue from Company A to Company B its location becomes ‘Issued’ When I return the rental part at the end of the rental period, its issue is back in Inventory? Im not sure of the purpose of the facility, or even if its required?

I would like movement between Company A and Company B to be reflected in the equipment structure, but Im unsure how best to accomplish that.  

Thanks

James

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@Asitha Rajapaksha 

Done some testing on this and the results are as follows:

I delivered the rental part - status became issued.

I then executed the work task to place serial into a structure. This changed the status to In Facility and was in the correct structure. 

When I receipted the rental part into company B, the status has moved back to In Inventory and was therefore removed from structure and the operational status was Out of Operation. Is this correct? When the part is rented out from company B to company A, do you lose visibility within the structure? If a parts issued on a project is it In Operation or Out of Operation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

When the Rental Part is reserved ready to issued from Company A to Company B, we have a Mobilization WO created. Could this Place in Serial Structure take place within a task here?

What is the purpose of the ‘In Facility’ Location? When I issue from Company A to Company B its location becomes ‘Issued’ When I return the rental part at the end of the rental period, its issue is back in Inventory? Im not sure of the purpose of the facility, or even if its required?

I would like movement between Company A and Company B to be reflected in the equipment structure, but Im unsure how best to accomplish that.  

Thanks

James

“In Facility” is one of the values, that describes the serial part’s current position. i.e., the physical position or location. The other possible values are “Unlocated, Contained, In Repair Workshop, Issued, In Inventory, Under Transportation, Returned to Supplier. 

“In Facility” is required, in any situation where the serial part needs to be placed in an equipment structure in order to operate and maintain it.  In the back-end terms to make its operational status to In Operation. I assume that was what you tried to do by adding a Belongs to Object in your test case.

If we leave it at “Issued” position, the particular serial will definitely miss the full operational and maintenance capabilities. 

I hope this would provide you some insights.

The question here is, is it the same “Belongs to Object” is used in both Company A & B?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks

James

“In Facility” is one of the values, that describes the serial part’s current position. i.e., the physical position or location. The other possible values are “Unlocated, Contained, In Repair Workshop, Issued, In Inventory, Under Transportation, Returned to Supplier. 

“In Facility” is required, in any situation where the serial part needs to be placed in an equipment structure in order to operate and maintain it.  In the back-end terms to make its operational status to In Operation. I assume that was what you tried to do by adding a Belongs to Object in your test case.

If we leave it at “Issued” position, the particular serial will definitely miss the full operational and maintenance capabilities. 

The question here is, is it the same “Belongs to Object” is used in both Company A & B?

Hi @Mayura Wasantha  - thank you for your reply. Company B could be a depot, but when transferred to Company A it is then rented to Project Demand. Therefore it could be placed in a new functional object that represents a customers site. 

From testing, the mobilization WO that is generated from the inter co POCO, appears to be able to solve this by using the ‘Place Structure in Serial’ function.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks

James

Hi @Mayura Wasantha  - thank you for your reply. Company B could be a depot, but when transferred to Company A it is then rented to Project Demand. Therefore it could be placed in a new functional object that represents a customers site. 

From testing, the mobilization WO that is generated from the inter co POCO, appears to be able to solve this by using the ‘Place Structure in Serial’ function.

Thanks, in that case ‘Place Structure in Serial’ is the only way to handle this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @Mayura Wasantha  - After issuing the object on a project, I was able to place the serial object into a structure, moving the item from Issued to In Facility

1. is that the correct process? once issued should it remain in issued status or be moved into facility?

Now the rental period has completed, I end the rental. At this point, I am unable to process the Supplier Shipment because the Inventory is not available. 

1. What is required at the end of the rental? How do I move the object from In Facility back to a state where it can be returned on the Supplier shipment? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mayura Wasantha  - After issuing the object on a project, I was able to place the serial object into a structure, moving the item from Issued to In Facility

1. is that the correct process? once issued should it remain in issued status or be moved into facility?

Now the rental period has completed, I end the rental. At this point, I am unable to process the Supplier Shipment because the Inventory is not available. 

1. What is required at the end of the rental? How do I move the object from In Facility back to a state where it can be returned on the Supplier shipment? 

1. Yes, the part has to be issued first and then “Place the serial in the structure” is the correct process.
  2. It has to Return the serial object from the Facility to Inventory in order to load it into a supplier shipment. (Use Move Inventory option or Work Oreder return option)