Question

Require Mass Update: Rename Equipment Object IDs (mch_code)

• 17 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 0 replies

Requirement: In the Hierarchy restructure project in Yinson it is required to rename equipment objects with new tag numbers(mch_code).  

This has to be done while retaining the historical maintenance records of the old object id with the new object id. The operations are using the history on daily business, and it is very important during audits to demonstrate the history on the equipment upon request.

Therefore, we need to update following entities as well.

- Active and historical Work Order, Work Tasks and Work Task Steps

- PM Actions and Task Steps on PM Actions (Custom Field)

Example of scenario is to use Object 51PA0001A on Site YPNG1 and Old Object Id = 51PA0001A

I believe that, IFS has already received similar requirement from other customers as well. What is the IFS recommendation to perform this operation? This is for APP10 UPD 15

Community post:

We do see few possibilities. 

Option 1: Recreate new equipment objects with new tag numbers and update the mch_code with new object ID in above entities. But we do see that many scenarios cannot be executed through functional flows. For e.g. It is not possible to modify the object for a work order generated from a PM action.

Option 2: Rename the existing Object ID and update above entities with the new Object ID. Perform mch_code and belongs_to values replacement across the database?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Niroshini Walagampala 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This could be a very late information. yet could still be helpful. 

In IFS Cloud 22R1we made an technical change in Equipment Object LU Keys. It is now, a unique “Equipment Object Sequence” instead of ‘Object ID’ & ‘Site’ that maintain the reference to other entities such as PM, WO etc.etc. .Upgrade scripts are used to handle the old data inserting sequences. 

Please refer Asset Management News Release for 22R1 & technical documentation for more information.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Great design change in 22R1. I assume you can set permission on the action to change object id?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Great design change in 22R1. I assume you can set permission on the action to change object id?

Yes.