Question

Maintenance Basic Data: Object type vs Item class

• 12 August 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We would like to use the Service and Maintenance module from IFS 10 and we have some question about Basic data.

Serial Object (piece of machine, Ex Drilling Machine) can be defined with this list of Basic data:

• Category: Machine
  • Object Type: Vertical Drilling
  • Type Designation: EH-15 (model)
  • Group ID: Drilling
  • Item Class: ??

Work Instruction Task Template used to define a PM programs  can be linked to a Category, Object Type or Object Designation (Machine model in my example)

PM program: it seems we can connect PM program only through Process Class and Item Class

I have some trouble to understand the logic. We can connect Work Instruction template to a type of machine, which sound logic. But i m not able later on to create a PM progam for this machine linking WTT via Type Designation. Only with Item Class.

Does someone could share with an example how do you use PM program and Work Task Template?

how should i understand “Item Class”?

thanks for your support

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I’ve trained just saying item class basically is akin to general equipment type.  For example, if you had one for transformers, it would be the item class.  But, the process classes for transformer could be a power transformer (PT), control transformer (CT), voltage transformer (VT).  All are transformers but would probably have a different PM Program associated with them.  So basically, the process class gives it granularity.  They really don’t have any connection to Category, Object Type, Type Designation, or Group ID (which is used mostly for coding…don’t use it if you don’t need it to make the coding more granular and avoid pre-posting work...you might need it later if financial requirements change).  Also remember Object Type and Type Designation are important if you’re going to use the Characteristics functionality.

The issue we need to fix though, is once you use item class, it automatically shows up on work task creation which will blank out several fields such as symptoms and discovery if you don’t have SFM (Structure Failure Management) set up.  You have to clear the item class on the work task to see them.