Question

Assign multiple tasks - All resource persons are available to pick

• 31 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Having a customer that run Cloud and are using Maintenance (not service) and Assignments/Allocations for Work tasks.

When they have a work order with several work tasks and all tasks will be assigned to the same person they use the functionality ‘ assign multiple tasks’. So far so good. When they pick ‘Person’ and open the drop list for resources they see ALL Person resources they have for Maintenance. Doesn’t matter which Resource group or Maint org the work order/task having or which Resource group or Maint org the Resource person belongs to.

If they are using assignment per work task, only person connected to current Resource group or Maint org are available.

Anyone having the same issue?

Anyone know how to solve it?

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

This is the intended functionality (introduced in App10 Upd8).

It was introduced as an easy-to-use capability where several work tasks can be marked and assigned to a single person or tool/equipment. 

Using similar concept as the Direct Allocation capability where this can be done by single work task, but the user interaction here allows for doing it all in one go.

The expectation is that the user doing the assignment would know who to assign (if not then the filtration functionality within the drop list can be used).

If we were to look at which Resource Group and Maint Org that is stated on the Work Task, then the command would just be available when choosing Work Tasks with same setup. This would go against the easy-to-use idea of this function.

Badge +2

Hi Tommy,

thanks for quick response.

One question: How come this functionality does not take any account to set Maint org or Resource demand group?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi,

As I mentioned the usage of this command would change if it would take Maint Org and/or the Group on the Resource demand. The command would just be available if the user would choose Work Tasks with same setup. The Maint Org would be one thing - that is on Work Task itself and the user could by that filter out the Work Task with the same Maint Org. But the Group on Resource demand isn’t possible to search for in a Work Task context. So suddenly the user might choose multiple Work Tasks with different Groups on the Resource demands and by doing that (without having a clue) the command is not enabled.

There is an element of performance question on having such checks on values on Work Task or related tables (Resource demand).

But main reason if the functional reason above and the requirement to make this a very simple way of assigning same person/tool to multiple Work Tasks (regardless of required resources etc).

I hope this make sense. 

Badge +2

So far so good: but my question is why does ALL resource persons chow up in list, they don’t belong to this specific Maint org? (Yes it’s the same Maint org for all the current Work tasks)

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I tried to expalain the reason for this in my last reply.

We had a requirement to make this a very simple way of assigning same person/tool to multiple Work Tasks (regardless of required resources, maint org etc).

See it as a Direct Allocation function where you have automatically set ‘Apply Contraints’ to No.

Badge +2

Ah! Know I understand! Tank you for your patience!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

No problem, I could have added the Direct Allocation screenshot in the first reply.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I believe I have discovered an issue with this “easy-to-use capability”. If there is a resource demand, and assignment is made from the demand, subsequent work completed in mWO results in Work Done status on the work task(s) as expected. If I use the option to "Assign Multiple Tasks" from Prepare Work Order screen, work completed in mWO returns “Work Started” status on the work task(s), even though assignment(s) are in Completed status. I've tested this with single task WO, multiple task WO and get the same result. Seems that option is broken somehow

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

See Uthpalas response in Task completed in mWO not updating to Work Done | IFS Community.

The “Assign Multiple Tasks” and “Direct Allocation” options will create work assignment which doesn’t connect to the resource demand and thus the work task will not automatically be set to Work Done when the work assignment is completed.