Question

Looking for field bpart.is_kit

• 20 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi, We are using Alliance v15.2. I am interested in testing the is_kit (from table bpart) field when using the pack report, but we can’t find the field… we see reference to it in Data Dictionary and Report Customizer. It is also not showing available in Screen Customizer. How can we determine where this field is and how to update it? If it is not editable, but is driven by another setting, can you tell me that as well?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Leann,

Perhaps it is the goods.is_kit database column you are looking for?  This and the bpart.is_kit are the only two columns having the name is_kit in the database.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Possibly, I can’t seem to find either, do you have suggestions on where to find them or how to update?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

The field is_kit is an obsolete field that has been in the database for a long time (v5 i think) and it was never used or had any logic assigned to it.  Once a field makes it into the db it is very difficult to remove it because customers could have already used it for other purposes.

I have been able to come up with a solution for one of our customers only to be used on Sales Orders.  when the product that is a kit is entered on sales order, the user is prompted to select the components of the toolkit and a pick list and ship list are printed to show the parts picked and the pricing is at the parent.  Neither the parent or the components can be serialized.  If a component is entered separately, it is priced differently. 

This solution would not work in service orders.   If you could provide more info on what you want to do with this field, perhaps I can suggest any approach.  

I hope that this answers your question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thanks, Jacques.

I was just coming to the same conclusion myself and was checking with R&D to confirm if it was deprecated or not.  I could not find any reference to it any of the screens or product assembly, BOM, etc. in v15.2.  Strange though it is still a part of many DAL queries while it is not being used any longer.

However, you have been doing Alliance for a long time so I trust your confirmation it is obsolete.

I think the best approach may be to use Customizer to create your own version of the is_kit field instead of taking the existing field.  For example, if you add it to the product center, the field would end up as bpart.cst_kit (assuming you called it ‘Kit’ when defining it).

Then you can modify and edit this as needed while adding it to your Pack Report.

If this is not enough, please post your scenario what you are trying to achieve and I am sure Jacques may come up with a different way which might even be better.

Phil

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I can confirm that there is no visual representation for this field in any recent versions and up to the latest version of Alliance.