Solved

Is there a way to add a multi-select dropdown list using customizer?

• 13 May 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We are looking for a solution to capture multiple attributes on an installed item. A dropdown list similar to the Problem Codes field on a service order is desirable but this does not seem to be an option in customizer. 

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 16 May 2022, 09:43

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Katherine,

Unfortunately that is not functionality that is supported with the Customizer in Alliance.  As you probably already know, these are the available options:

• Computed Expression is off screen

I don’t know of any plans to add multi drop down option to Customizer but if I hear of any, I will let you know.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you for the reply Phil.

Is it possible to add a custom module which would basically be a junction table to hold the installed item ID plus the attribute record(s) and make this accessible in the Installed Item module?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Katherine,

Honestly, I think that also would be a change request.  While you can create a custom module to contain a list, you would still have to have code to pull that information from the list.

The Alliance application does this by using the order_xref table where they store multiple rows for cause, problem and repair codes.

Only way I think to get that data from another module is with a computed column in Customizer but I am almost sure it would only return a single result instead of a list.  Plus the field probably would have to be multi-line if it did return a list so it can populate the text rationally for viewing.  Computed columns are not multi-line.

This is just my opinion and perhaps someone has a better idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Katherine,

Perhaps if the amount of values that can be attributed to a single item is not large, say no more than five, you can consider making multiple new fields on the screen to contain the information you want to link to the installed item.  So you would have five copies of a drop down list field containing the same definitions in their lists or perhaps a lookup to the module you spoke of earlier so that you can make changes more easily.

Just thinking a little outside the box.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you for the input Phil.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Katherine,

I have feedback from R&D in regards to your last question.

Regarding to your question, only partially can be developed using the customizer.

1. The customer can add new module will have  the attribute id and description - via customizer
  2. Add new table ( item id , attribute id) – not via customizer
  3. Add xref page to item module - not via customizer

If the customer really need it for running business, I suggest to do this change as regular customization.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We are still looking for a solution to capture multiple attributes on an installed item. We currently have v15.4 SU2 but plan to update to SU4 soon.

Curious if there was functionality added to SU3 or SU4 which would allow us to add a multiselect dropdown.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Katherine,

I looked at the options in the SU4 customizer and it does not differ in the types of fields you can add to the page.  It still looks like you need to arrange a change request customization to achieve what you are looking to do.