iOS 15 Operating System

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It is expected that Apple will start rolling out the iOS 15 Operating System within the next 2-3 weeks, the
iOS 15 Operating System is NOT YET CERTIFIED for use.

Mobile technicians SHOULD NOT UPGRADE to this operating system version at this time, please instruct your mobile technicians to hold off on upgrading until this version has been certified for use with Astea Mobile.​

I will update this thread once the official release has completed QA testing.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Thanks Reid!

i will update our APAC customers accordingly.

Regards,

Ugo

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Reid,

I have just been informed by our IT of a new “zero-day, zero-click vulnerability in IOS” which impacts all iPads, iPhones, Apple Watch, macOS even Apple TV.

There are reports of this vulnerability being exploited in the wild. The attacker can install spyware/malware/control software onto an Apple device by sending a specially crafted PDF file. The device user doesn’t need to do anything for the attack to be successful.

This new vulnerability is fixed with IOS 14.8 which was released yesterday.

Would you be able to check/approve iOS 14.8 as soon as possible please?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The key CVE-ID is CVE-2021-30858.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I will update you via the other 14.8 thread (not to confuse this with the testing efforts that are currently underway for the upcoming iOS 15 release).  I’m sure Apple will roll that fix up into the Gold Master build for V15 as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi, could we get an update please?  Have any reasons been found so far that should stop us upgrading to V15?

I ask because we need to get people to at least V14.8 but we have quite a few currently on V14.2 that are not being offered V14.8, they only have the option of upgrading to V15.  Given the seriousness of the security issue that V14.8 resolves, we therefore have to decide if the security risk or taking a chance and going directly to V15 is the better option.

If you have already found any issues, then we must wait but if you are 90% through testing and found no issues, perhaps we can accept the risk?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

iOS 15 is still undergoing certification at this time, no issues have been reported yet.  If you’re worried about the security risk then I would suggest you upgrade one device internally first...put it through every step of your full Test Scripts...make sure there are no showstoppers in there that your techs would run into (the modules and functionality used by each of our customers will differ).  My concerns are if there is a P1 of some sort...Apple does not make it easy to roll these operating system updates backwards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The iOS 15 operating system is now certified for use with Astea Mobile.​​  (Quick Note: iOS 15.1 Beta has already been released, that has not yet been certified).

Badge

Just a note on the notifications from this thread. I Subscribed to the original post, but I didn’t get an email when the thread was updated. I just stopped in here to check and found that iOS 15 was certified 2 days ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try clicking on the Subscribe button at the top of the thread (otherwise the replies probably won’t trigger an e-mail to get sent to you if you haven’t participated on the thread earlier in the conversation).

Badge

Reid - Users are unable to just download iOS 15.   Apple now shows 15.0.1.   Is it just 15.1 not approved but 15.0.1 is ok?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

iOS 15.1 and iOS 15.0.1 are not currently certified for use with Astea Mobile (it doesn’t mean they won’t work properly, it just means that QA hasn’t completed the effort yet).  If you need to upgrade prior to their official certification then I would suggest you upgrade one device first...put it through your test scripts first to ensure there is nothing in there that will impact your technicians out in the field prior to updating the rest of the devices.

Badge

Reid - Our users are testing with 15.0.1 and they found that “Background location is not enabled” comes up now every time they load the app.  Our users don’t always turn this on because it seems to drain battery yet now it always wants to turn on.   Is this something you can look into?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Mai, 

Are your users changing the permissions at the app level (meaning OUTSIDE of the Mobile Edge application by going to Settings...Astea Mobile...Location and setting that value to Never?  Have them flip that to Always and then give them the ability to turn it on/off from within the Communication Diagnostics module itself, this can be done by setting MOE -10131 to a value of 3.  Techs can then flip this toggle on/off from within our app without having to adjust the permissions.

Also try adjusting the setting on MOE -10189, we added that option a while back to save on battery life...once the mobile technician indicates that they have arrived on site we turn off the GPS automatically and will restart it once they’ve indicated that they’re done working on this ticket so we can now track them when they are in-route to the next jobsite.

Badge

I have been checking these comments, and cannot see if iOS15.1 has been certified.  (ASTEA MOBILE EDGE v15.3.0.0)

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Development issued a Service Bulletin about this, we will no longer be doing device certifications or certifying MINOR operating system version updates (only MAJOR version OS releases will be tested going forward), the document is attached on this thread:

https://community.ifs.com/alliance-265/when-will-ios-15-0-0-2-be-approved-14207