Solved

How does "Obsolete" work for Installed Items?

• 10 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi, we are using V15.4.2 currently.

We have found that when creating new Installed Items, we are able to select a Product ID even if set as Obsolete, which we were hoping would not be possible.

Also are able to clone an existing Installed Item that has an Obsolete product.

BUT if we go to an Installed Item and try to change the Product ID to something that is set as Obsolete, it does not show as an option, it only offers active Products.

This seems inconsistent, so can anyone define how this is supposed to work please?  And is there any way we can prevent users from using certain Product ID’s?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 10 January 2024, 12:50

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

I had this same discussion with R&D a while back.

Obsolete does not prevent the consumption of EXISTING stock.  Otherwise you are ‘throwing’ away valued stock, etc.

The goal was not to allow ordering of new stock.

You should not be be prevented from creating new items (clone is effectively the same) using the obsolete product as it possible not all installed items have been registered by the time the product was made obsolete.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Phil,

I just did a test where we have inventory of a part which I set to obsolete and then tries to use it in a Field Quotation and also tried a Service Order.  In both cases, when I tried to use up that existing stock, I got the message “You cannot add an obsolete product '14-699' to a Material Demand.”

We would really like it if it worked as R&D told you, so we can set parts as obsolete and still use up existing stock but currently for parts, we have to wait until they are used up first and then set to obsolete.

FYI, In the example above, when creating Installed Items, we are only referring to parts set as serialized but inventory we do not serialize them.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

I am confirming again with R&D what is/is not allowed when flagged.  Will come back to this as soon as I get feedback.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thank you Phil, much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

For the service order usage of obsolete, this is defined in the prompts (service) module:

If you enable this, you should be able to use the existing stock.

Further explanation I found:

When the checkbox “Enable Use of Obsolete Products” on the Prompt (Service) is checked, we allow to create and process Service Order demands based on the obsolete products, IMO and Purchase Requisition on such demands are allowed.

Internal PR is not allowed. (e.g. internal orders for new stock purchases)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

In addition to the above, R&D just confirmed there are four global parameters possible to modify the behavior for obsolete products:

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thanks Phil,

We have that setting off because if on, there is no control at all of using obsolete parts, even once the inventory is used up.  When on, we can still quote an obsolete part in a Field Quotation, even if obsolete and no stock, without warning that it is now obsolete and therefore should not be quoted/sold (I just tested to confirm).

Having this off works best for us for parts but our current issue is controlling which Product ID’s are allowed to be used for creating new Installed Items.  Any suggestions how we can prevent users from using certain Product ID’s when creating them?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Chris,

After further consultation with R&D, there is not a mechanism to prevent the selection of an obsolete product for an installed item.

The response was:

We think that adding a global parameter is the best solution but we think this issue needs to be handled as a small customization. It is required to change a Product Lookup in the Installed Items module to the Product Lookup in the Purchase Requisition module that does not display obsolete products at all.

Note, if this were done it would not be possible to create new installed items for any obsolete part including ones which are already deployed in the field and have not been registered.  This will not be made part of standard as this functionality should normally allow new installed items for most customers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Phil,

OK, thank you for checking with R&D.

What we have done for now is to set up a custom pop-up.  We change the description to include “Do Not Use” and if that is there, the pop-up will warn/stop users from using it.

Seems to be working BUT of course we then see Do Not Use showing up in existing data sometimes.