Google Chrome - V112 - Mobile Edge white screen

• 6 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Google has updated their browser again to v112 and at this time, Mobile Edge is not accessible in via Google Chrome.  This is using HTTP protocol.

We are investigating to see if there is a solution.

Symptom - with v111 it is possible to get to the login screen of Mobile Edge with Chrome, after today’s update to v112 (6-Apr-2023), it is no longer possible and you will see a white screen.

At this time, if you need to use Mobile Edge via a computer client, you will need to deploy the native Windows app for Mobile Edge instead of using Chrome.

To deploy the native app for Windows, use this URL accordingly.

http://<your mobile edge domain>/asteamobileedge/install.html

https://<your mobile edge domain>/asteamobileedge/install.html

Please note, Chrome is not officially used for Edge acceptance testing which should only really be done with the native apps.

Please also keep in mind you can only have one Windows Astea Mobile client deployed per Windows Client.  Please how to switch environments per Reid’s post below.

Kind regards,

Phil

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I replicated the issue on Chrome V112.0.5615.50 and escalated the issue with the development team.  For those of you that are using the Windows Native App and need to switch environments, you don’t need to do a full uninstall/reinstall, just click on the A in the upper left hand corner of the screen and click on About:

On the next popup screen click on Reset:

Select YES on the Are you sure? prompt and that will take you back to the Enter Server Address screen where you can enter the new URL.
Thanks,
Reid

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Quick update on some options that exist for anyone still using a Google Chrome browser to run the application over HTTP:

1) Use one of the Mobile Native Applications (iOS, Android or the Windows Native App).  This is our recommended solution as it gives you full functionality within the application.
2) Configure the environment for HTTPS (this requires changes by your IT team but is a much more secure option).
3) Configure the environment for ARR routing to redirect the HTTPS external traffic to your internal environment via HTTP (this requires changes by your IT team).

Thanks,
Reid

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi Reid,

The Firefox browser (Version 112.0.2) seems to be unaffected since it uses the gecko engine. whereas all other modern chromium-based browsers like Chrome / MS Edge / Opera have the captioned white screen issue.

Also, I noticed that the Windows Native App is failing to load Maps, is this a known issue?

Windows Native App Version 2.5.9 / Mobile Edge Version 15.4.7.0

Again, doesn’t happen on Firefox browser.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Pranavan,

Correct about the Chrome versus Firefox web engines. The reason is the chromium engine has discontinued support for WebSQL which Mobile Edge uses.

For the maps issue you are seeing in the Windows native app, please check if your app is configured to connect to a valid registered domain to the mobile server.  Meaning not to a host name, IP address or domain not registered with Google.  I have not heard this being a problem but will look into it when I come back into the office. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Pranavan,
I recreated the issue on our QAC environment using the FQDN URL so this is an issue that will need to be fixed.  I logged a ticket for it and routed to the development team, thanks.
Reid

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Quick update on the Map module not displaying in the Windows Native App: that is fixed in Windows Native App Version 2.6.0 (this is included with Maintenance Release V15.4.8.0).
Thanks,
Reid