Solved

Edge IE mode instead of Internet Explorer

• 2 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

I was wondering.

Our internal IT wants to disable Internet Explorer on all devices.

Astea is still using Internet Explorer.

Would it work if we list all the Astea URL's and force them to open in Edge using IE mode?

Or will this cause issues in the Astea Browser?

icon

Best answer by Phil Seifert 2 November 2021, 15:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Anthony,

We do not have support for Edge in v10 and it remains to require IE unfortunately.  This is a requirement for the Astea Browser.

When you move to Alliance 15.3, this is browser agnostic and will work with Edge, etc. except for select modules which have not been moved to the Web Employee Portal (Dispatch Console, Customizer, etc.).

Alliance 15.4 was just released and has more modules moved to the Web Employee Portal but still there is a need for IE to use the Astea Browser for some modules not fully transitioned.

We do not have a solution to avoid IE at this time for v10 at all and it is still needed for the Astea Browser in version 15 where they are working on other solutions.

No, you can’t force the Astea Browser to not use IE with the method you proposed.

Phil

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi Anthony,

I’ve used the Astea Alliance v15.2 and upwards via Web Employee Portal on MS Edge and the application experience was very smooth. 

Badge

We encountered a lot of problems with installing back office without internet explorer.  I suggest keeping it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Phil Seifert ,

With IE11 being officially retired on 6/15/22, what does this mean for Astea? Can it continue to be installed and perform all processes as needed? It sounds like, through Windows updates, Microsoft will be blocking IE. We are currently on Alliance 15.2 (but do still use the back office application in addition to the web portal).

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

HI Leean,

There are two issues for your version:

• I was informed there will be no further HF releases for 15.2 with HF4 being the last release.  You should consider planning upgrade to v15.4.
  • For other versions such as 15.1 HF11, 15.3 HF4, etc. the latest HF releases do have support for Windows 11 and installing via Edge.  The communication I have from IFS R&D is:

EOL of IE 11 is planned to be in June 2022. That means that users won’t be able to launch IE application, but its engine, used by Astea Browser, will continue working. DC and other functionality within Astea Browser will continue working smoothly.

After EOL of IE 11,  Astea Browser cannot be installed for new clients using IE and therefore in our latest HFs we added possibility to install Astea Browser from MS Edge.

Also there are same places in the application that opens IE windows to display some information. For example, when SSRS report is launched, the system opened an additional IE window to display the report. This won’t be allowed after EOL of IE 11. Therefore in the latest HFs instead of IE, the system opens the SSRS reports within default browser defined for the client. The default browser replaces IE when a user opens User Guide PDFs files (Help), BI graphs, OLAP reports and OLAP scorecards, like in Customer Health Dashboard page, and other places where using the OLAP function.

This is the same behavior for Windows 10 or Windows 11.