Solved

Alliance : GPS position linked to action

• 3 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

In Allliance V15.4 , is it possible to catch the GPS position when a technician do some action :

• Start Travel  (catch GPS latitude/longitude)
  • Start Work (catch  GPS latitude/longitude)
  • Stop Work (catch GPS latitude/longitude)
  • Log out (catch GPS latitude/longitude)

Globally, in the database  Alliance, for each GPS position recorded, could we link this GPS position with an action  made by a techncian ?.

If the technician is offline : Could we do the process ? (if data are stored on mobile edge DB)

Thanks and Regards

icon

Best answer by Reid Gilbert 3 March 2022, 16:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Anthony,

There is no functionality to capture GPS for monitoring the events and their GPS coordinates at the time of the event itself.  The system will capture what time the events were logged but not the GPS coordinates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I think some of our customers have created reports that display the Start Work time, Stop Work time, etc. and then did a join to the gpsdata table in the database to find the nearest GPS coordinate based on those times for that employee which got them the approximate location to meet their needs.  I think the downside to that is most countries have rules and regulations for how long the GPS data can be stored in the database so that information is usually purged after a set number of hours or days so the reports won’t be able to display the data after that time period has passed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Reid,

Agreed a report can be created for APPROXIMATE times but specific times the events were recorded may not be in the same location where they actually performed the event.  For example, modifying the data later at another location.

I also agree about concerns regarding privacy and tracking.  EU regulations are pretty strict about capturing and retaining the information as you mentioned.  I don’t believe a report is really feasible, especially if you try to run the report AFTER GPS data is purged.

Badge +6

Hi Guys , 

Does  MOE 10186 achive the original question asked ?

This is in SU7

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Nazish,

Here is the description of this MOE setting -10189 from your screen shot.

I believe the purpose of this to avoid tracking you while you are on the job, think military installations or other security concerns plus data bandwidth savings as not needing to update if the GPS location is not changing for the work duration.

I would think that your travel is to the location and from is outside this location but if they don't stop work and this is enabled, you won't have current GPS location if they start traveling again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

We created the -10189 MOE primarily to help conserve battery life on the mobile devices...if a technician remains at a particular job site for many hours in a row then there is not always the need to capture/transmit these coordinates until they indicate that they have completed their work (and can then travel to the next job site or home if they are done for the day).  When the GPS capture is disabled there will be less demand on the battery on the mobile device so technicians won’t need to charge their devices as often in these cases.

Badge +6

Thanks Reid / Phil.