Upgrade from IFSv9 to v10

• 23 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I recall when moving to IFS Apps v9, we were sold on the fact that future version upgrades would be much easier!

We moved from IFSv7.5 to IFSv9 in early 2018. Although it went without a hitch, it was no small project from an IT or Business point of view. We now see that IFsv9 is nearing the end of its standard 5 year support phase, moving into extended support in Mar 2020 (We were obviously a bit late to the v9 party!).

Is there anyone out there who have upgraded from v9 to v10. Was this a straight forward upgrade? Did you stay with your original Oracle version? What was the impact on users?

Vague request for information I know, so happy to receive vague discussion/answers.

FYI: We are a manufacturing business, multiple sites worldwide, around 400 users, Hosted on-prem, Oracle 12c.

Cheers

Mike

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi Mike,

We recently moved from 7 to 10 and our sister company moved from 7 to 9 a year before. We briefly talked about getting our sister company from 9 to 10 and they said that it would still be a migration between old and new systems with a price tag of around £50k (they are single site, <100 users). I can’t remember now if that figure was quoted by our third party consultants or IFS directly.

I hope that others will have more useful information than I have offered.

Cheers,
Ged.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

We haven’t upgraded from 9 to 10, but we do have both versions live for different business units.

From an Oracle standpoint we normalized so that both are on the same version for simplicity, which is helpful.  To do this we performed an Oracle upgrade of Apps9 to Ora12.2.0.1 which resulted in a few Oracle issues but nothing that couldn’t be resolved fairly easily. 

Therefore if you are able to get your Apps9 version to that Oracle version in advance then that wouldn’t need to be undertaken at the same time.  Might make things a little simpler.

Nick

(and don’t feel bad - we also upgraded from Apps7 to Apps9, going live in 2018 too)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi,

Compared to a v7 to v9 upgrade, v9 to v10 should be quite a straightforward one. Assuming that you did have quite a few customization in v7, a lot of time would have been spent converting the customization's to the layered architecture during the previous upgrade. Now with v9 to v10 upgrade you already have the code layers setup so the uplift effort would be considerably less. There is also additional inbuilt support to manage your configurations using ACP’s as well as upgrading your permission sets which would make things much easier. You would how ever need bit of user training on Aurena to get them familiarized with the new interface. 

As for Oracle, the recommendation would be to upgrade to Oracle 19c so that you are in line with the product support from Oracle. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We haven’t upgraded from 9 to 10, but we do have both versions live for different business units.

From an Oracle standpoint we normalized so that both are on the same version for simplicity, which is helpful.  To do this we performed an Oracle upgrade of Apps9 to Ora12.2.0.1 which resulted in a few Oracle issues but nothing that couldn’t be resolved fairly easily. 

Therefore if you are able to get your Apps9 version to that Oracle version in advance then that wouldn’t need to be undertaken at the same time.  Might make things a little simpler.

Nick

(and don’t feel bad - we also upgraded from Apps7 to Apps9, going live in 2018 too)

I would upgrade Oracle in a heartbeat, but might be a hard sell for the business. Definitely something I will consider when an IFS road map is agreed with the business (Finance). Cheers

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

So for Oracle 19c, does this work with Apps9 UPD 14?

I was informed I can no longer can apply IFS updates unless I upgrade to Oracle 12.2. or Oracle 16c or if supported Oracle 19c

I am currently running Oracle 12.1.0.1.0. We recently uncovered a bug with NULL constraints and it was noted by IFS to upgrade to a newer Oracle version. So if I am to upgrade, to which version should I do so? 

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I work for a group which uses Apps 9 in some companies, and Apps 10 in others, but we have not performed an upgrade from Apps 9 to 10.

If you’re using the Aftermarket/Service module in Apps 9 you might have some challenges in transferring that to Apps 10 as I believe there are some quite significant changes in that area of the system (If I recall correctly, the Apps 9 “Crafts” function has been removed completely, and is replaced by a new Resource management system in Apps 10, and I think there were other quite notable changes in this area too).

From a user perspective however, the Enterprise Explorer changes are quite subtle really, so the learning curve isn’t big a challenge. There are a few screen names changes which take a bit of getting used to (“Register Purchase Order Arrival”, has been renamed to “Register Arrival” for example) and a new tile view is available on the Details screens (but can be toggled off by users if they don’t like it). However, basic navigation and many transactions remain consistent between the two versions.

Apps 10 does of course offer the option of using the web based Aurena client alongside EE, but our initial testing with Aurena wasn’t very positive so we didn’t pursue that at all.