Question

Move IFS_HOME from one server to another

• 24 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I have a virtualized instance of IFS Apps 10 running under vmWare workstation on my laptop, fully updated to UPD18 and, as a time saver, wondered if there was a proven and safe way to “move” this copy of IFS_HOME (the middleware server folder structure) from one server to another? If anyone has any experience with this process, please share as I do not relish starting over on the new server.

Regards,

Bob 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @woprhowe,

You can use the Middleware Server backup and clone functionality. You can find the documentation here:

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/foundation1/020_installation/020_installing_fresh_system/040_installing_ifs_applications/030_deploy_middle_tier/hidden_itd/270_backup.htm

In your case, the clone option should do. Make sure the new server has all the prerequisites required to run an IFS instance so that you would not run into any issues. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Charith Epitawatta , thank you so much! Apparently I was using the wrong key words in my search of the documentation! I will try this right away and post the outcome shortly!

Regards,

Bob 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Charith Epitawatta 

I have successfully created a clone backup and copied it to the destination host, but I have point I need some clarification on. Does the “IFS_HOME” on the destination host (mws server to accept the clone) need to be a working instance of IFS, or can I simply create the folder structure and copy “restore_clone.cmd” to the instance folder, then run the restore? Also, if it needs to be a working instance of IFS (i.e. IFSCLONE), do I specify a different instance name with the “-instance” switch (i.e. restore_clone -instance=IFSCLONE or restore_clone -instance=IFSNEW01)?

Kind Regards,

Bob

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @woprhowe,

You do not need a working instance of IFS on the destination. Simply extract the zip archive from the create clone step to the location where the new IFS Home should be created. Then run the restore clone script. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Charith Epitawatta 

I will give it a try and let you know!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Apparently, “restore_clone.cmd” does not exist on any of my systems??? I was sure i saw this file this afternoon within my test environment, but i just searched both PROD and TEST and the file is not found. Am I missing a step here?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Well . . . check that. It would appear that “restore_clone.cmd” is created only during the “create_backup” process, gets included in the archive and is subsequently deleted from IFS_HOME. I was able to copy the archive over to the new host, run the restore process, but received what appears to be an error (Test Failed) and cannot find the “mws-srv.cmd”.

E:\IFS\MWS\IFSTEST1>restore_clone -instance=IFSTEST1
2023-08-25 09:25:07 [INFO   ] Changing instance
2023-08-25 09:25:07 [INFO   ] Creating MW Home..
2023-08-25 09:25:07 [SEVERE ] Panic message: Exception: Test failed.
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.InstallMain.smokeTest(InstallMain.java:125)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.InstallMain.createMwHome(InstallMain.java:78)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.CloneMain.restoreDomain(CloneMain.java:277)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.CloneMain.main(CloneMain.java:674)
Caused by: C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\ContentsXML\Inventory.xml
 at ifs.application.installer.util.common.MwsCommon.readFile(MwsCommon.java:193)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.InstallMain.smokeTest(InstallMain.java:115)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.InstallMain.createMwHome(InstallMain.java:78)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.CloneMain.restoreDomain(CloneMain.java:277)
 at ifs.application.installer.util.main.CloneMain.main(CloneMain.java:674)

What are my next steps?

Regards,

Bob

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Based on the error above, I decided to install a working copy of IFS in order to create the file “C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\ContentsXML\inventory.xml”, then discovered that I cannot install as the same name in the “inventory” file. At this point, I rename the folder that I extracted the archive to and ran the “restore_clone.cmd” with the new instance name. This time it went farther, but produced a new error message.

Error: Unable to access jarfile E:\IFS\MWS\IFSTESTA\instance\IFSTESTA\mw_home.jar

This file exists in neither environment (not in the source instance, nor in the destination instance).

Thank you in advance,

Bob