Question

IFS Cloud 23R1 Release Notes - Detail & Summary Availability?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

For 22R2, release notes came out late - on the day of the release. I’m unaware of any other major ERP waiting until launch day to inform their base what’s coming. Instead, both summary and comprehensive (yet trackable) detail is shared 30-60 days in advance. 

For 23R1, what can we expect around release notes - and when? The release is coming out later this year, so we’re now in the sweet spot to help us manage change in my experience.

What I hope to avoid beyond (waiting until May 25) is having to go module announcement by announcement to gather the highlights. And then seeing bullet 15.7 on the release summary (under Procurement) referencing supplier hierarchies as something to consider when updating. Then have to go to the 23R1 help docs to learn about 3.4.7.1 Manage Supplier Hierarchy…

Happy to share more of my past experiences and expectations via this thread or directly. Thank you,

Russell

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

You won’t find anything like that around these parts.  The release notes are late, cryptic at best, and wholly unuseable for planning, project management, or understanding of impact to process or business.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

IFS provides a preview of planned functionality in the IFS Cloud Roadmap document.  The latest which is for IFS Cloud 23R1 and 23R2 is available at:  

The release details are communicated at the general availability (GA) date (May 25, 2023 for the 23R1 Update).  This is to allow for testing by the pioneer customers of the Early Access (EA) release and insures the quality of the release update, which can change during the EA testing.   

The GA includes an announcement that provides details by functional area, like the one that was released for the 22R2 update release: 

Let me know if I can provide other information to help.

Badge +2

IFS provides a preview of planned functionality in the IFS Cloud Roadmap document.  The latest which is for IFS Cloud 23R1 and 23R2 is available at:  

The release details are communicated at the general availability (GA) date (May 25, 2023 for the 23R1 Update).  This is to allow for testing by the pioneer customers of the Early Access (EA) release and insures the quality of the release update, which can change during the EA testing.   

The GA includes an announcement that provides details by functional area, like the one that was released for the 22R2 update release: 

Let me know if I can provide other information to help.

Is there similar document available that covers bug fixes? It would be useful to be able to check there to see if a bug should be reported to IFS, or if an update will fix it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes there is a topic for each Cloud Release. 

For the 23R1 Release it is at: 

For the 22R2 Release it is at:

For the 22R1 Release it is at:

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@russellclayton 7 months later and IFS/their consultants are still not directly informing their customers of these issues. They are directly walking their customers onto a landmine.

When reaching out to IFS to get this resolved, it appears the immediate response is always to point the finger, same goes for consultants. 

Very shocking that a company of this size, that makes this much money, is conducting business like this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is a major struggle, make sure you have no customizations running. You are better off starting from scratch with any area of 23R1. Absolutely horrible release with minimal information and running in circles.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Harsh feedback here. I’m expecting that in the future when we hop onboard the Cloud release train, it will keep pushing on like, well, a train. 

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r1/020_lifecycle/images/RUprocess.png

It would require all the related roles, processes and info to be in top condition early on.

Are you all working with a partner, IFS or by yourselves with all the steps in the pic above?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @JukkaJ 

It’s funny that you mention that; we just received an email from IFS that they never gave us essential IFS setup documentation. The email was essentially just “oops, our bad!” when that mistake caused us hundreds of hours of work (we’ve been using IFS for 2 years). Our Partner (Gold star rated) never gave us documentation either, even after we’ve asked multiple times. 

There seems to be serious lack of care from IFS and their partners. IFS is not in a state to turn on and go, it’s essentially an IKEA table that needs to be built by the customer with broken instructions while they and their partners sit and watch. Harsh but true!

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Well glad you got them eventually. The Standard Definition Documents or SDD’s and all customization specifications are docs that are needed regularly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It is amazing to me how much they talked about being “evergreen” at the IFS Connect conference, but the process to do so is so incredibly convoluted. Time for some significant investment to simplify the upgrade process. Documentation is obviously written by engineers. Completely accurate, but minimally useful.