Question

Time registrations to Shop Order Operations: why it's possible even if shop order and connected project is closed?

• 1 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 32 replies

Dear IFS Community,

I have a question regarding the ability to register time to shop order operations even after the shop order and the connected project have been closed.

In our organization, we've encountered situations where our employees have accidentally recorded time to shop order operations, and we've noticed that the system allows this even if the shop order and the connected project is closed (i.e. project management project is in closed status and financial project is in completed status).

I am curious to understand why system allows this and whether this intended functionality within IFS Applications, or is it a configuration setting that we are able to adjust?

As a consequence, both the financial project, the project management project and the related activity need to be reopened to transfer the transactions to General Ledger- This results in unnecessary extra work for anyone performing the transfers.

Another issue this creates is that time registration is prone to errors, as it is possible to register time to all the shop order operations, even those that are closed.

I would greatly appreciate any insights, advice, or information that the experienced members of this community can provide on this topic. Your expertise would be invaluable in helping us better manage our processes and ensure the accuracy of our data.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Lauri / Cimcorp

7 replies

Badge +3

we have the same question - did you ever receive an answer for this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hello ghaschke,

The above issue is still open. It has not been addressed by IFS Community members or by IFS support. 😞

I hope it gets attention now that there are others with the same issue.

Br. Lauri

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello,

The system functionality will allow clockings to be added or modified even if the operation or order is in a closed state. 
The reason for this is to allow corrections to be made or clockings to be created at a later time, in some businesses to add their clockings after the shop order has been processed and receipted. 
When a new clocking has been added or modified to a closed shop order the application should reopen and close to allow cost calculations to be corrected. 

Hope this clears this up?

Thanks,

Jamie

Badge +3

@COVJAMIEB our issue was that someone added time against a closed shop order in time registration that had everything closed, activities, projects, etc. and had been closed since 2022 in error (they made a typo)-- which then ended up causing issues for finance because then we had to re-open everything that was linked to be able to delete the incorrect entry. i thought i saw someone mention in a similar thread that in some update of Apps 10 (i believe update 14) there was a bug patch released that would give a warning error when someone was trying to register time against something that was fully closed, so we’re hoping for that patch. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I can now see bugs 150918 and 160753 were raised. Looks like these were added UPD14 for activity related shop orders.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hello,

We are running IFS Cloud Application SU 23.1.6 and the issue exists: it’s possible to clock time even when the Project is closed and the Project completed. Does this mean the bug has slipped to later versions?

Like @ghaschke said, the issue is that clocking is possible even when the related Project is closed and the Financial Project Completed.

At minimum, there should be an option to allow/disallow such an operation in basic settings, since the requirement is not generic but relevant to specific businesses, as @COVJAMIEB implied.

Best regards,
Lauri

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I have quickly taken a look at the code within Cloud and can see some validation within the SHOP_ORD_API - Open procedure.

I seems to check if the connected Activity Seq is either Closed or Completed, if it doesnt then an error appears,

This Shop Order is connected to Activity :P1 in Project :P2 and the Activity is :P3. Re-open is only allowed when in status Released

During the adding / modification of clockings it might not execute this exact procedure. Might be worth testing,

1. Trying to Re-open a Shop Order connected to a closed or completed activity sequence

VS

1. Creating / Modifying a Clocking against a Shop Order connected to a closed or completed activity sequence