Solved

Shipment Management: Multi-leg Inbound Logistic - "Ship Goods and Assets" page

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

In this flow I’m getting below error “Sender and Receiver must be in the same site when demand code is Purchase Receipt.”… when I’m to move a qty in arrival location to another location…

It is not allowed to enter the same site as the receiver even the error message suggest - understandably there is no place to enter location ID (for a movement within the same site ).

So, if I’m not missing something, my assumptions are…

1. movements can only be done within the same site
  2. Only from an Arrival location (may be non Picking) to a location in a remote warehouse
  3. cannot do movements within sites belongs to same company
  4. cannot do movements within sites belongs to different companies - obviously since Shipment Order is not supported

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you

Chitrangana

icon

Best answer by Fredrik Johansson LKP 28 June 2023, 09:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi

I reply to your assumptions below:

1. movements can only be done within the same site → Yes
  2. Only from an Arrival location (may be non Picking) to a location in a remote warehouse → Arrival or QA location, if you receive into picking and then do the movement it will be a normal movement with Shipment Order or Distribution Order without reference to the Purchase Receipt
  3. cannot do movements within sites belongs to same company → Don’t get this comment, you can do movements within the same site when moving from Arrival / QA. It has to be between Site adn/or Remote Warehouses of the site. It can be compared with the fact that you can move in Arrival QA using transport task, but now with a Shipment and Receipt function using the Shipment Order. 
  4. cannot do movements within sites belongs to different companies - obviously since Shipment Order is not supported → This cannot be done as the Receipt belongs to one site and you can only move within that site. So you can receive into a Remote Warehouse of a site and move to the normal site Address, or the opposite, or between Remote Warehouses as long as it is within the same site. If you have the need to move between sites / companies you need to receive into picking and then ship from there, then it will be without reference to the receipt.

Hope this clarified it for you?

Best Regards
Fredrik

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Fredrik,

Thank you for the quick and detailed response.

Best regards

Chitrangana

Badge +2

Hello all, for me this question is still not answered. I may not see the entire picture clearly enough, but something is still missing here (23R1) from the functional perspective (please correct me if I’m wrong). The way I understood multi-leg inbound logistics is that I now have an option to register initial PO receipt in one site and the ship entire or partial quantity to another location,  e.g. to another site within the same company. 

The issue I am facing:  when I choose the option “Relocate > Ship” from the Receipt line level I get navigated to the screen Ship Goods and Assets which allows me choose another site for the receiving party. When I choose another site within the same company and try to save my relocation input I get the following error message: “Sender and receiver must be in the same site when demand code is purchase receipt”.

Sorry I do not get that, can someone explain? What if in such scenario main relocation address (final destination) is always the warehouse in another site of the same company? If shipment order allows movement of goods within company sites, I do not understand why this new fancy multi-leg inbound logistics functionality does not support it.

Badge +2

Addition to my previous comment:

In IFS Cloud documentation the following can be found in the description of Ship Goods and Assets activity/page: 

“Use this activity to initiate the move of an inventory part, non inventory part, no part or a handling unit between a site and/or a remote warehouse. Depending on if the receiver site is within the same company or a different company, a shipment order or distribution order will be used to administrate the move.”

Expected Result for the scenario described in my previous comment: shipment order (in a planned status) should be created to move goods between the different sites of the same company.

Actual result: Instead of the above, error message is provided. Can someone please explain me what is the idea behind the current functionality/validation that provides the error message?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

When shipping parts from arrival and QA location, it is only possible to move within the same site. To have receipt in other places is handled by defining Remote Warehouses in the same site. Then you can ship parts from arrival QA location between the site and Remote Warehouses in the same site. In the purchase order line you can add a Remote Warehouse which is the first receipt and then from there you can ship it as a next step to the site. It is also possible to define a default remote warehouse in site.

Another option is to move into stock in the site, and then ship to the other site from there. However then you will not have the connection to the purchase receipt.

Best Regards

Fredrik

Badge +2

Hello, Fredrik, can you please tell me where do you take this information from? I am asking, because your answer contradicts with the IFS documentation and introductory slides for multi-leg inbound logistics (provided below).

The below is taken from IFS documentation, description of Ship Goods and Assets activity/page: 

“Use this activity to initiate the move of an inventory part, non inventory part, no part or a handling unit between a site and/or a remote warehouse. Depending on if the receiver site is within the same company or a different company, a shipment order or distribution order will be used to administrate the move.”

From the below slides (3 slides provided below) I see that materials can be shipped directly from the arrival location. Depending on where the receiving location is, the shipment order or distribution order has to be automatically created. There is nothing in the documentation about the limitations of shipping to the same site only.

Could you please comment slide areas highlighted in yellow?

1st slide

2nd slide

3rd slide

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

I just had a look at the news presentation for 22R2 and realize that this could have been expressed more explicitly. Found some content in the material that implicitly means that it is within the same site. E.g. the transactions above the SHIPODWHS- /+ are used in the intra-site delivery, in a comment to one slide it says: “No INTORDTR inventory transaction will be created as this is within the same site”. But as I said it could had been explained clearer, sorry for that.

If we had two sites involved we would need two Purchase Receipt records one per site, so one of them will be out of synch with the site on the purchase order. Besides the invoice matching will be strange, in the invoice matching we connect to purchase receipt and set quantity invoiced, not sure if and how this should be handled with multiple sites and purchase receipt. Besides to manage the receipt after movement will be complex if it is another site than the one on the purchase order, what if you return to suppler etc? It will open a lot of complexity as you see.

Not sure if you meant that the first site is same as purchase order and second different or the opposite? Perhaps you can describe your scenario a bit? To see if it is something for the roadmap?

In the online documentation for the activity we have the following text:

“If you want to ship an inventory part already after arrival and keep the connection to the purchase receipt, the part should have been received into an arrival or quality assurance location. Note that from these locations it's only possible to move goods to a receiver in the same company. However, for non-inventory parts and no part, you can ship after the purchase order is received into inventory.”

We realize that there is a misprint here, it should be within the same site. We will correct this in the documentation.

Once again sorry for confusion.

Best Regards

Fredrik

Badge +2

Our customer needs IFS to cover the following business case. Raw materials are purchased from the supplier (company A, site X). After registration of arrival, some/part of materials are moved into stock (company A, site X). There is a need to send the remaining quantities to:

1. Company A, sites Y or Z);
  2. Company B or C.

Without the possibility to initiate relocation from the arrival location (“multi-leg inbound logistics” ) I would have suggested our customer to use:

• Shipment order for movements between the sites of the same company (scenario 1); and
  • Distribution order for movements between sites of different companies (scenario 2). 

In my initial scenario I was hoping to execute, the first receipt was registered in the PO site. After the registration of first arrival I was about to initiate shipment order/distribution order with the Relocate > Ship function from the Receipt screen. But if that is not possible and I have to receive materials into stock and then relocate goods with shipment order or distribution then I do not see the any benefits of multi-leg inbound logistics, as all those “legs” seem to only be supported within the same source site.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi,

So the purchase order line is an aggregation of the quantity needed in multiple sites and should then be distributed to different sites? With the current design you need to do as you suggest, what problems do you see with that solution? I think it will be a bit complex to achieve what you ask for as the purchase receipt is connected to one single site, that together with invoice matching, inspection, return, makes it complex. I will ask product management if they have heard about this requirement.

In your scenario you cannot use “multi-leg inbound logistics” but we have seen benefits in many other scenarios among customers. 

Best Regards

Fredrik

Badge +2

Thank you for your answers, Fredrik, I do not see any issues using Shipment Orders/Distribution Orders, just wanted to make sure I will suggest the best solution to our customer.